none
Can I use Visual Studio 2017 product key which was used in a desktop machine in my personal laptop? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

I have a Visual Studio 2017 product key and I am using it for development in desktop machine. But now I am switching my work to personal laptop. Is it possible to use the same product key in my personal laptop provided i will deactivate my visual studio in desktop? or Do I need to purchase a new key?

Thanks in advance

Binta 

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 5:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It depends to your license key...

Usually, it's possible...

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 5:10 PM
  • Hi Binta Anish,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

No, you don't need to purchase a new key. The license depends on the use account and not on the device. So you could use the same product key in your personal laptop.

And here is the statement in Visual studio license white paper:

Hope it could help you.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 1:35 AM
  • Hi Binta,

As far as l know, the product key is tied to your account. So if you move to laptop, you don't have to think about that. 

> >And as long as your vs product key is valid, it can be used on multiple machines at the same time.

More information you can refer to this:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3220295/can-i-install-vs-on-two-machines-with-one-license

Any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Perry

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, October 18, 2019 8:57 AM