none
Stop error list from appearing on build

Question

• In Visual Studio 2013, the error list window keeps popping up at every build, even if I have set Project and Solutions general options like this:

I want to see the output window only, the error list is actually misleading in some cases, e.g. if the publish operation ends with an error you just cannot see it in the error list.

I tried deleting the .suo file and restoring all settings to the default values, but this changed nothing.

This is happening only with ASP.NET projects (a web application in this case).

Thanks,
    Paolo

Paolo Tedesco - http://cern.ch/idm

Monday, May 18, 2015 8:44 AM

Answers

• Hi Jack,

I have found the problem. The fact is that I had one warning coming from NuGet (about a package built for a different framework version), and that's what was causing the error list to pop up.

With regular warnings everything works as expected.

(By the way, I was using VS2013 Pro with Update 4)

Thanks for your help,
    Paolo

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 9:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Paolo,

Which VS2013 version did you use? Do you install the VS2013 update 4 or update 5 RC?

I test a console app and a web app in my side with VS2013 Ultimate version, if I disable the setting:

In two projects, I couldn't see the Error list window even if there are some error messages in it.

So I doubt that it is your VS Environment issue.

>>I tried deleting the .suo file and restoring all settings to the default values, but this changed nothing.

If you reset your VS settings, as far as I know, that option is disabled by default settings, so please run your VS as the admin, and then disable it again, please also install the VS2013 update 4.

If still no help, please also test the same app in other VS2013 machine, so we could know that whether it is the VS/project issue.

If we make sure that just your VS Environment has this issue, please disable all add-ins, repair your VS, disable the settings in your VS, and then create a simple web app, test it again.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 7:57 AM
  • Hi Jack,

I have found the problem. The fact is that I had one warning coming from NuGet (about a package built for a different framework version), and that's what was causing the error list to pop up.

With regular warnings everything works as expected.

(By the way, I was using VS2013 Pro with Update 4)

Thanks for your help,
    Paolo

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 9:04 AM
  • Glad to know that you have resolved this issue, Paolo!

It means that this option is used for error, not for the warnings.

Have a nice day,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 9:10 AM
  • Not only for warnings, now the error list does not show up even if I have errors, as expected.

Cheers,
    Paolo

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 9:13 AM
  • I got it:)

Have a nice day,

Jack

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 9:17 AM