none
How can I add System.Xml.Linq to Portable Class Library after the .NET Framework 4.0.3 Update RRS feed

• Question

• According to the release notes for the 4.0.3 .NET Framework Update, the Portable Class Libraries should now support System.Xml.Linq and System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations.

Feature 4: XLinq and DataAnnotations added to .NET Framework 4 Portable Class Libraries

Support for System.Xml.Linq.dll and System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations.dll has been added to the Portable Class Library project when targeting .NET Framework 4.0.3. For more information about how to install Portable Class Library support, visit the Portable Class Library article on MSDN.

However I still can't add a reference to those DLLs after I installed the 4.0.3 update. What do I need to do to be able to do this?

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 1:30 PM

Answers

• Indeed, according to a Twitter reply i got from David Kean we need an updated version for the Portable Class Libary Tools for VS2010 to take advantage of it.

• Marked as answer by Stebet Wednesday, March 7, 2012 11:03 AM
    Wednesday, March 7, 2012 11:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Stebet,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

Based on your description,  I reproduced this scenario. One possibility is that the tool is out of date. And I have add a comments on that page to ask update. 

And if it is very critical to you, you can also submit your concerns on connect site: https://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio 

Best regards,

Mike Feng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 8:22 AM
  • Indeed, according to a Twitter reply i got from David Kean we need an updated version for the Portable Class Libary Tools for VS2010 to take advantage of it.

• Marked as answer by Stebet Wednesday, March 7, 2012 11:03 AM
    Wednesday, March 7, 2012 11:00 AM
  • In addition to an update to the VS2010 Portable Class Library tools (which hasn't been released), you can also get this functionality in the VS11 Beta (which is already available).
    Monday, April 30, 2012 2:51 PM
  • Any update on this?
    Tuesday, May 8, 2012 12:37 AM
  • Looks like they updated the tools yesterday.  Thanks!

http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/b0e0b5e9-e138-410b-ad10-00cb3caf4981/

• Proposed as answer by mattj1856 Thursday, May 10, 2012 1:48 PM
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 1:48 PM
  • For some reason it wasn't working for me and had to uninstall Portable Library Tools 2 (from Add/Remove programs - repair was failing, asking for some external files and had to cancel repair), then install it again for it to allow me to have using System.Xml.Linq statement in my code (before System.Xml.Linq wasn't appearing in the references the PCL wizard was creating)
    • Proposed as answer by ClipFlair Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:26 PM
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:26 PM