none
Upgrade 2nd TFS Project Collection

Question

• I have recently upgraded a TFS 2013 project collection to new hardware and TFS 2015.   This went better than expected.  I would now like to upgrade a 2nd TFS 2012 project collection to the new TFS 2015 instance.  When upgrading the TFS 201e instance I ran the installer then selected upgrade.   How would I upgrade a 2nd project collection if TFS is already installed.
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:02 PM

All replies

• Hi JBLENNON,

Thank you for posting here.

Do you want to migrate the 2nd project collection to the new TFS 2015?

If yes, you just need to move the Team Project Collection which in the 2<sup>nd</sup> TFS to the new 2015 TFS instance.

The summary steps should be like this:

1. Detach the collection
    2. Back up the collection database
    3. Move the collection database
    4. Attach the collection
    5. Configure the moved team project collection
    6. Configure projects

Please refer to Move a Team Project Collection for the details.

And this article for your reference during the update:

http://geekswithblogs.net/gauravtfs/archive/2016/03/30/tfs-2015-upgrade-issue.aspx

Best Regards.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 3:23 AM
  • Will this work if the New TFS is 2015 and the Collection I would like to add is a 2012.  I was think I may have to create a new TFS instance updgrade the 2012 collection to 2015 then move the 2015 collection to the new server.
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:56 PM
  • Hi JBLENNON,

Thank you for posting here,

Generally it will works, someone had practiced that, please reference this thread. Also, ensure that the target server (TFS 2015) has the same or newer SQL Server version than the source environment (TFS 2012). It is important, because you cannot restore a SQL backup which was created with a newer SQL Server.

Of cause, you can also update to 2015 first, then move the collection to new server, that sure works.

Best Regards.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 17, 2017 1:53 AM