Latest Version of TfsImporter Tool RRS feed

• Question

• I just downloaded the TfsImporter tool (TfsMigrator_Tfs2017_Update2_15.117.4341687), but when I run the "validate" step, I get a message saying there's a new version of the tool released Nov 8, 2017 (two days ago). It has a link to https://aka.ms/tfsimport. Downloading from that page I get the same version I already have downloaded (15.117.4341687). Looking at the time stamps of the files within that download, the tfsimporter.exe file was last modified Nov 3, 2017. Do I have the latest version? The message telling me to update doesn't say what version is the latest. Are the links on the website out of date? Does the update message show for everyone, even if they are running the latest version?

Thanks for helping clarify this.

Friday, November 10, 2017 9:21 PM

All replies

• Taking a closer look, I see that the executable, when run, reports a version number of 15.117.27103.0 if that helps at all. It seems to have a different version number in the executable than the name of the zip file uploaded to the website.
    Friday, November 10, 2017 9:32 PM
  • Hi Macavity2,

Where did you download TfsImporter tool (TfsMigrator_Tfs2017_Update2_15.117.4341687)?

I just try to download the tool from website https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=54274, and you are right that although the version here is 15.117.4341687, when run the tool, the version is 15.117.27103.0. But I didn't get any new version release message during this process.

Best regards,

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, November 13, 2017 5:51 AM
  • That's the same place I got mine from (based on browser history). I ignored the message and imported anyway, which went successfully on Friday. Since I no longer have any collection needing to be migrated, I have no way of checking the tool to see what its response might be.

It's possible that the TFS team has updated the server so that when the TfsMigrator tool hits the APIs it no longer gets the update warning message as a response.

Thanks for looking into it!

Monday, November 13, 2017 10:16 PM
  • Hi Macavity2,

Sorry for any inconvenience, and thanks for helping us build a better VSTS/TFS.

Best regards,

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 9:13 AM