none
cdb debugger issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have been trying to run cdb.exe on my machine but I keep running into issues. I am running this on a windows 10 64 bit machine. Here is the screenshot of the error.I originally downloaded visual studio 2013 with update 5 and then downloaded the debugging tools with Microsoft SDK. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Here is the error in cmd:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Debuggers\x64\cdb.exe"

Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 10.0.19041.1 AMD64
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Failed to open \\.\com1
    Kernel debugger failed initialization, Win32 error 0n2
        "The system cannot find the file specified."
    Debuggee initialization failed, Win32 error 0n2
    The system cannot find the file specified.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Tuesday, June 9, 2020 2:23 PM

All replies

• Hi, I have been trying to run cdb.exe on my machine but I keep running into issues. I am running this on a windows 10 64 bit machine. Here is the screenshot of the error.I originally downloaded visual studio 2013 with update 5 and then downloaded the debugging tools with Microsoft SDK. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Here is the error in cmd:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Debuggers\x64\cdb.exe"

Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 10.0.19041.1 AMD64
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Failed to open \\.\com1
    Kernel debugger failed initialization, Win32 error 0n2
        "The system cannot find the file specified."
    Debuggee initialization failed, Win32 error 0n2
    The system cannot find the file specified.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

I suggest you read the available documentation.

For example --

Debugging Using CDB and NTSD

Debugging a User-Mode Process Using CDB

CDB Command-Line Options

Tuesday, June 9, 2020 5:02 PM
  • Ah yes, it's a little bit irritating. but nothing wrong as far as I can see. Providing an explicit 'debug-target' (dump-file, application, process) as an argument should do the trick ( - leaving aside at the moment the more 'exotic parameters' like '-iae').

With kind regards
    Tuesday, June 9, 2020 8:53 PM
  • Hi jc2020,

Please try to re-install windows SDK 10: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/windows-10-sdk/, and then reboot your machine.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, June 10, 2020 2:39 AM
  • I read the documentation and tried the the parameters by passing in the imagefile and the dmp file but I am still getting the same error. That is the reason in my question I did not add any flags because it seems like I can not even run cdb by iteself.
    Monday, June 15, 2020 11:23 PM
  • I tried your steps but no luck, still same issue.
    Monday, June 15, 2020 11:23 PM
  • I tried passing in a dump file but I kept getting the same error so I decided to run cdb by itself to narrow the issue down but still no luck.
    Monday, June 15, 2020 11:24 PM
  • I tried passing in a dump file but I kept getting the same error so I decided to run cdb by itself to narrow the issue down but still no luck.

That's strange. 

On my box (different debugging tools version) according to output cdb tries to initiate/connect (?) to some (unspecified) kernel debug session, when called without cmd-line aguments - using some hardcoded  connection parameters.
    (Older cdb versions are playing more by the rules, they just displays command-line help text.)
    But that shouldn'affect functionality, cdb is after all  primarily a user mode debugger. 
    Did you already try windbg? It's using the same debug infrastucture.

With kind regards

Tuesday, June 16, 2020 8:24 AM
  • Hi jc2020,

I try to install Windows SDK 10 in a clean windows 10 system without visual studio. It can also work without this error.

Do you install all features of Windows SDK? Maybe you can try this.

If it doesn't work, I'm afraid you may need to re-install your system.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, June 16, 2020 9:39 AM