none
How to have "Past Special -> Paste XML as Classes” feature in VS2012 ? RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Visual Studio Ultimate 2012 and I was looking for the "Past Special -> Paste XML as Classes” feature allowing me to copy a XML and paste it as a serializable type.

However, even though I found several link talking about that feature (ex. http://bloggingabout.net/blogs/rick/archive/2012/10/24/tip-paste-xml-as-classes-in-visual-studio-2012.aspx where it says also of an other Past Special ->Paste JSON as Classes) but I cannot see that item in the EDIT menù!! After the voice “Cycled Clipboard Ring” I see the “Delete” one and “Past Special” is missing.
    DO I need to enable something or to be in a project of a particular type? Now I am in a project with target Windows Phone and, as I already told you, I do not see that voice in the EDIT menu …

I tried also to be in a WebApplication project target .NET Framework 4.5 ... but even in that case that voice in the EDIT menù is not present.

Any idea why and what I can do to have and use that feature?

In the past I used a similar feature as an Add-in coming from the WCF REST Starter Kit but even following again the instructions I followed for the past VS version (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/wcf/thread/cc5843cb-9283-4789-9043-365e5a8d4beb) I cannot succede to make appear the menu voice “Paste Xml As Type” (that was the name) in VS2012.

Enzo CONTINI

Monday, February 18, 2013 10:58 AM

Answers

• Hi Enzo,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

I succeded to use that feature at the end! ;-)

Do you mean that it worked well now? If so, I will close this thread.

That that feature do not work if the project is a Windows Phone vers. 7.1 !!! It works if the target is Windows Phone 8.0. I think it's a bug of VS2012.

Not the Windows Phone expert, so sorry for that I couldn’t repro this issue, but to get the issue confirmed and diagnose by product team, would you please create connect report for it? You will get email notification for update.http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx. Thanks for your understanding.

If there's any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Enzo Contini Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:59 AM
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:42 AM

All replies

• I succeded to use that feature at the end! ;-)

That that feature do not work if the project is a Windows Phone vers. 7.1 !!! It works if the target is Windows Phone 8.0 

I think it's a bug of VS2012 ....

Enzo CONTINI

Monday, February 18, 2013 1:54 PM
  • Hi Enzo,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

I succeded to use that feature at the end! ;-)

Do you mean that it worked well now? If so, I will close this thread.

That that feature do not work if the project is a Windows Phone vers. 7.1 !!! It works if the target is Windows Phone 8.0. I think it's a bug of VS2012.

Not the Windows Phone expert, so sorry for that I couldn’t repro this issue, but to get the issue confirmed and diagnose by product team, would you please create connect report for it? You will get email notification for update.http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx. Thanks for your understanding.

If there's any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Enzo Contini Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:59 AM
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:42 AM
  • Thank you Jack.

I understand that that feature doesn't work if the project is targeted Windows Phone vers. 7.1 so up to now to create the class type from an XML I have to go to a project with target WP8 and then copy the generated file in my WP7 project: it's bad but it works ...

I asked also an other collegue to try to do the same using his VS2012 installation and he has the same missing menù item if the project is WP7. I'll try to use the connect report link you gave me to report the possible bug. ;-)

Enzo CONTINI

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 8:12 AM