none
Extension to generate TypeScript from ViewModel RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

I am a new bee on Visual Studio extensions, I have a requirement to convert the C# ViewModel to typescript file. I have no idea from where to start on this as I have never built any package or extension before. Elaborating my requirement, On VS2013 in solution explorer when I right click a viewmodel it should give me an option to convert file to typescript. For any settings I can use a separate settings file at solution level.

Please help me get start on this, I have no clue even what type of extension I should create for this and how can I read my viewmodel to convert it into typescript.

Any help on this will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sachin Mehndiratta

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 9:54 AM

Answers

• Hi Sachin,

I am glad you are up for the challenge, it will be well worth it.  As far as books, I have not found many that go into any depth about package development.   I have found a course (once again a little dated, targets vs 2010) pluralsight that is pretty helpful.  Unfortunately the audience for custom vs package extensions development is pretty small so I don't think a lot of authors are going to create books.  From what I can gather, that series of blog post called Learn VSX Now was going to be turned into a book but the author could not find a publisher willing to take it on :(   Another helpful resource I forget to mention before is Carlos Quintero.  He is an MVP and makes a product called MZTools.  There is a lot of info on his blog about extending Visual Studio and he is pretty active in these groups so if you post questions here he might answer them.

Frank

Thursday, December 4, 2014 1:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Sachin,

Congratulations on taking the plunge into developing vs extensions, its a very deep pool.  The best beginning resource I have ever found is a series of blog posts called Learn VSX Now.  The content is a little dated, it was written for the 2010 version, but the concepts are all there and very useful.  I used this resource extensively while I was developing my extension.  You can also use the MSDN resources, there is a lot of documentation there but it can be hard to find sometimes.  I don't want to discourage you but creating an extension is not an easy task, there's a large learning curve to overcome and the documentation is sparse at times.  If you are under time constraints, I suggest you look into other existing solutions.  If all you need to do is generate some text from a class, Visual Studio has the built in T4 Framework.   You can use that directly or enhance it using my extension T4 Awesome which adds a UI for template management and parameter passing.  If your project is an MVC app, you can look at MVCScaffolding, there is a section in that link about setting up custom templates.  If you have the time and want to build your own extension, I say go for it!  Over the 2 years it took me to create my extension I have learned a lot about how Visual Studio, C# and the compile process works.  Once you get past the learning curve, the IDE is your oyster.  You can enhance and change so much in there it is amazing.  It's a valuable skill to have but it will take some time to learn.

Best of Luck,

Frank

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 5:09 PM
  • Hi Frank,

Thanks a ton for sharing these useful links, I will go through these and grab some basics from there about packages. I am committed to learn full control over packages, doesn't matter if it takes a while. However I am also looking for quick overview and any helpful ebook or book where I can learn the basics of extension packages at conceptual level, I hope I will soon find a book for this as digging into a book seems to be a best option at the moment and will be a good start. Can you suggest any book for this?

Thank you once again Frank!

Sachin Mehndiratta

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 10:02 AM
  • Hi Sachin,

I am glad you are up for the challenge, it will be well worth it.  As far as books, I have not found many that go into any depth about package development.   I have found a course (once again a little dated, targets vs 2010) pluralsight that is pretty helpful.  Unfortunately the audience for custom vs package extensions development is pretty small so I don't think a lot of authors are going to create books.  From what I can gather, that series of blog post called Learn VSX Now was going to be turned into a book but the author could not find a publisher willing to take it on :(   Another helpful resource I forget to mention before is Carlos Quintero.  He is an MVP and makes a product called MZTools.  There is a lot of info on his blog about extending Visual Studio and he is pretty active in these groups so if you post questions here he might answer them.

Frank

Thursday, December 4, 2014 1:13 PM