none
Program Error HELP !!!! RRS feed

• Question

• I am using VB.Net 2003  and an Access dB

All of a sudden my app has develooped an error in a place where I wasn't making any changes. (So I think)

My problem is happening when I am trying to fill a dataset.  I have two tables.  Part Numbers and Serial Numbers.  I also created a dataset that contains both tables and a connection object.

In my code I have the following:

PNAdapter.SelectCommand.CommandText = "SELECT Batched, [Expiry Date], Location, Notes, [Part Description], [Part Number], QOH, Serialized, [Time Lifed] FROM Parts"
    PNAdapter.Fill(Join, "Parts")
    SNAdapter.Fill(Join, "Serials")

the program is bombing on the first line, saying

An unhandled exception of type 'System.NullReferenceException' occurred in School Board.exe

Additional information: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

As far as I know, nothing changed with my dataset or my data adapter.

I have tried to delete and recreate the data adapter and the Join dataset but still no change. I also verified the connection string.

I created the Adapter from the toolbox and it also contains the commandtext statement above. If I try to comment out the statement that sets the command text in my code I get the following error.

Additional information: The SelectCommand property has not been initialized before calling 'Fill'.

I'm at a loss !!!   any help would be appreciated..

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 3:13 PM

All replies

• tatoo

>Additional information: The SelectCommand property has not been initialized before calling 'Fill'.

According to this you did not instantiate a command object for use with the Adapters!

Ibrahim Malluf

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 6:07 PM