none
Getting Disconnected from The Forum Frequently

General discussion

• Hi,

I am not sure I am the only one facing this issue on the forum. I will tell in detail

I am frequently getting disconnected from forum even though I am active on it and just posted reply 5 mins back. This was not the case before. What is happening is when I am expanding and posting my answer it is failing with "Yellow color" result saying "unexpected error occurred" and when I refresh the page I can see I am disconnected. So I have to sign in again and post my reply.

This is really tedious. Anybody else facing the same issue ?

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Thursday, April 14, 2016 10:28 AM

All replies

• Yes, in the last two or three days there seems to be an auto logoff feature. What is annoying is that the page still shows signed in but attempts to post replies result in error until you refresh page and sign in again.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 12:39 PM
  • I have also seen this a few times in recent days. In particular, the page says I am logged in but I cannot edit, and after a refresh I find I must logon again.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Thursday, April 14, 2016 12:53 PM
  • Thank You guys, so my best bet would be mailing this issue to Fissues@microsoft.com ?

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Thursday, April 14, 2016 1:01 PM
  • Sure, it wouldn't hurt. I can't say if it is a forums issue or a microsoft account issue.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 1:22 PM
  • I am finding I must click the link to sign in more often than I remember in the past (maybe daily or a few times per week). Usually, I authenticate automatically, but sometimes I need to enter my credentials. This has changed recently.

Friday, April 15, 2016 1:53 PM
  • Right it is now every few hours (or less) you must refresh page to find your signed out, then sign in. It has been like this for last four or five days for me.

Friday, April 15, 2016 1:56 PM
  • Yes, exactly. I got that same problem right now when posting. Had to copy my post content to clipboard, do F5, sign in the post.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 6:08 PM
  • Hi Naomi, 

I normally am not logged off, but if I take some time to answer while busy, I'm logged off, the forum is simply ignoring then the reply. 

This really makes that you don't want to use the forums. 

I use Google Chrome.

See you

Cor

Thursday, April 21, 2016 12:43 PM
  • Recently, the same happens to me, sometimes more than once per day. It is very annoying. I need to copy my response to my clipboard, then refresh and post again. Often I need to click the "Sign in" link, but I seldom need to enter my credentials. But the "Back" function gets messed up, so when I return to "My Threads", or the forum home page, I need go back several pages and refresh again.

I will need to keep track of the behavior in the future. It may be that I do not need to enter my credentials when this happens on my tablet, where I login with the same credentials I use in TechNet. I cannot remember what happens on my Windows 7 computer, where I logon with different credentials. I may need to enter my username and password in that case. All of this behavior is new in the last few weeks.

Edit: I have IE 11 on my tablet, but I use IE 9 on my Windows 7 laptop because of the problems with other browers in the TechNet Wiki.

Thursday, April 21, 2016 3:02 PM
  • Recently, the same happens to me, sometimes more than once per day. It is very annoying. I need to copy my response to my clipboard, then refresh and post again. Often I need to click the "Sign in" link, but I seldom need to enter my credentials.

Yes, even though I also do not (usually) have to re-enter my credentials (even on Windows 7 with an ordinary user account), this bug is extremely annoying.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Sunday, April 24, 2016 10:39 AM
  • I'm from MSDN Forums engineering team, sorry for the inconvenience caused by the issue.

We failed to repro the issue on our side, I really appreciate if you could provide us the Fiddler trace to eriwan@microsoft.com if the issue happens again, thanks in advance.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 10:58 AM
  • I'm from MSDN Forums engineering team, sorry for the inconvenience caused by the issue.

We failed to repro the issue on our side, I really appreciate if you could provide us the Fiddler trace to eriwan@microsoft.com if the issue happens again, thanks in advance.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 10:58 AM

Frankly I dont know what is fidler trace and I am not sure why you are asking forum users to provide it to you. I suggest you try to answer some posts on forum for couple of days you yourself will notice. If I can I will send you screenshots.

The issue is really bad and MS is coming with same answer that it cannot reproduce the issue like it always does for connect items this is *really* heartbreaking

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 11:16 AM
  • It happens every day all day for probably the last ten days. I reply to a post but instead of success I get;

HTTP500: SERVER ERROR - The server encountered an unexpected condition that prevented it from fulfilling the request.
    (XHR): POST - https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/79c02ff4-8f37-4073-9585-dd320aedbd07/79c02ff4-8f37-4073-9585-dd320aedbd07/reply

I then copy the text of my reply, refresh the page to find I'm now signed out of forums, sign in again and paste in a new reply, then post.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 12:50 PM
  • The forums engineering team do not see this, because they do not stay logged in all day to TechNet/MSDN. We do, so we can check the forums several times during the day. Perhaps to repro the issue, authenticate to the forums, then come back the next day to post a reply.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 2:20 PM
  • Well in that case they should not say we cannot reproduce the issue, this is pathetically bad answer. Its tantamount to saying that may be you guys are doing something wrong and the forum does not have bug. Why would we take pain in reporting issue if we get such attitude from forum owners. This should change.

Instead of posting I cannot reproduce he SHOULD have logged into forum and tried posting some answer like you suggested.

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 2:23 PM
  • It is very repeatable. The sequence of events goes like this:

Select Reply or Quote, enter the reply, hit Submit and nothing happens. 

Copy the reply, do F5 and the page refreshes.

Then hit Reply and the page refreshes again

Hit Reply and the reply window opens, paste the saved reply and Submit, and it is submitted.

Very annoying.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 11:57 AM
  • Select Reply or Quote, enter the reply, hit Submit and nothing happens. 

I think you should clarify if this is when posting from a message list or a thread.  FWIW I reported this problem long ago for the message list case (and reiterated several times on occasions such as this).  My workaround then is to clone the thread in a new tab and then copy and paste the reply in it.  An extra irritant in this case is that frequently the Paste will be some kind of RTF (e.g. not my original text and not the real HTML, so then I have to go back to the original click on the HTML button, perform a Ctrl-a, Ctrl-c with that, switch to the new tab, get into its HTML source mode, do a Ctrl-a, Ctrl-v there, then Update, then finally Submit.  That usually works.  Sometimes I think far enough ahead that I do click on the HTML button for the original right after the failure but I guess it doesn't happen often enough for me to have made a habit it of that efficiency yet.

A related issue is this idiocy:  because there is a thread with a reply started open in the message list I can not start another reply without getting an "Are you sure?..." warning about having to leave an incomplete post.  The real idiocy here though is that if I close the preview of the thread that failed and then open it again, I can see my post has been received and there is no longer an Edit frame in that thread but the warning persists until I go to the next page or refresh the current message list page.

For completeness I suppose I should also mention this defect which I have never formally reported and which I sometimes exploit as a workaround to avoid the irritation of the inevitable "Are you sure?...":  click on the Next page link for the message list.  There will be no "Are you sure?..." then but if ever there was a place where it would be needed I think that would be it.  E.g. consider this scenario, someone has done all the research for a reply, gets distracted before posting it, starts looking at the rest of the message list, clicks on the Next page link and Poof! no more reply or any way of recovering all that work.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, April 28, 2016 3:31 PM
  • I log into the forums and find a question to answer. I click Reply and I'm able to enter my answer. Irrelevant of what I answer, when I click Submit I get a yellow unspecified error. I copy the answer and refresh the page. I am now auto-logged out. Clicking Reply refreshes the page and logs me back in. I can now click Reply again and put in my answer.  This has been happening for over a month now.  I am using Win 10 and Edge.
    Friday, April 29, 2016 3:16 PM
  • Yeah, really annoying. Happens here, too. Using Windows 10 with Google Chrome.
    Friday, April 29, 2016 3:20 PM
  • Yeah, we've got a couple threads going on this issue. The forums team has come back and said that they can't reproduce the error, so I'm not sure what kind of resolution we'll get on this one....

Friday, April 29, 2016 3:31 PM
  • Just an update on this. I have been working with Erich sending some captures to figure out what is going on. The issue appears to be the fact that we get signed off sometimes within seconds of the last forum activity but the current page is unaware of the signed out condition until you click submit button, hence the “unexpected error”.

Friday, April 29, 2016 3:43 PM
  • Yeah, we've got a couple threads going on this issue. The forums team has come back and said that they can't reproduce the error, so I'm not sure what kind of resolution we'll get on this one....

That is absolutely bs,  they must not be trying to hard.  I have it happen every day,  several times a day.  Below,  is another thread started in the VB.Net forum by tommytwotrain where there are several more people saying it is happening to them too.   8)

The Forum keeps signing me Out ???

If you say it can`t be done then i`ll try it

Saturday, April 30, 2016 12:51 AM
  • I'm going to run a 40 minute wireshark capture and see if I get kicked off during that time and something turns up.

However it's probably alot of data to look through.

I would imagine MS updated something recently which causes the issue.

La vida loca

Saturday, April 30, 2016 1:22 AM

• I would imagine MS updated something recently which causes the issue.

La vida loca

You are probably right ...some changes have been pushed and this issue resurfaced.

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Saturday, April 30, 2016 8:57 AM
  • I am writing some messages on this board, but it keeps kicking me off making it so that I am almost losing my message.

What is going going on here?  Why would it keep doing that?

I don't mind someone marking a post as "Proposed as answer", but DO NOT mark it as "Answered". If I am the OP, I will decide if a post actually answers my post or not. Thank you.

Monday, May 02, 2016 6:10 PM
  • I got an email today they will hopefully have a hotfix applied this week.

Monday, May 02, 2016 6:28 PM
  • In the past when I got logged out, I got an error message when I clicked "Submit" to post a reply, but I was able to copy my reply to the clipboard, refresh, make sure I was authenticated, then reply again. But today when I replied I did not have the opportunity to copy my reply. I was returned to the forum page where I saw I was not authenticated. I had to start over with my reply. If this continues, this would be very inconvenient.

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 1:00 PM
  • I asked yesterday for clarification on the issue and fix but so far have got nothing.

(edit: Issue is still happening to me but I have seen no change in the results.)

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 1:03 PM
  • did not have the opportunity to copy my reply.

A possible workaround for that in IE is to use View, Style, No Style.  Then you would find two versions of your composition, corresponding to what you see in the Edit frame and what you would see in the HTML source frame.  Another possibility would be to see what the Developer Tools have to offer in that state.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 1:47 PM
  • I got an email today they will hopefully have a hotfix applied this week.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

I don't mind someone marking a post as "Proposed as answer", but DO NOT mark it as "Answered". If I am the OP, I will decide if a post actually answers my post or not. Thank you.

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 6:15 PM
  • I just got logged out while attempting to comment on a blog post. I am sure it is the same issue, but the blog platform is new. I got this error message:

NONCE_NAME mismatch. Expecting aad-sso-nonce.

followed by a link to "Sign out". I saw no other option. I think I got signed out of everything. I clicked to signin. Then I selected my Microsoft Account (MSA), and I entered my password. This returned me to the main blog page, so I could not find the blog post I wanted to comment on. Finding the main page for WikiNinjas blogs was always difficult, but is more difficult now that the blog platform just got updated. I don't want to go through that again.

It might matter that I am using a Surface tablet where I authenticate with my MSA. It has IE 11.

Edit: I just had the same experience on my Windows 7 computer with IE 9 (because it has fewer bugs in the Wiki). They are forcing us to authenticate more often, but we have to start over navigating to the blogs we are interested in.

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 6:39 PM
  • I switch between working on a surface pro 4 W10 / Edge and a desktop W7 / IE11 but all my work is in forums. I don't think they have made any changes yet but no way to know that other than my results have not changed. There may be some different effects / results when working with blogs / wikis, etc.

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 7:23 PM
  • Not only am I getting kicked off being logged in but the points system seems broken now.

All the Gates horses and all the Gates men (and women and ..) couldn't put MSDN back together again! :/

La vida loca

Wednesday, May 04, 2016 11:56 PM
  • the points system seems broken now.

Yes, it is a known issue. There have been a few threads started on that.

Wednesday, May 04, 2016 11:58 PM

Really?  So a bunch of you went home and tried this as regular users?

"Those who use Application.DoEvents() have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." - MSDN User JohnWein    Multics - An OS ahead of its time.

Sunday, May 08, 2016 2:27 PM
  • I'm now getting a more useful error message.  Here's what I got then I ran into this just a minute ago.

Internal Server Error - Read

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Reference #3.15e3ab42.1462995520.1ac1cd7e

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 7:40 PM
  • Just an update;

It seems the issue may be that forums sites (social.???.microsoft.com) and content sites (???.microsoft.com) share same authentication cookie because of SSO, and the cookie is deleted by content site in some cases. Erich is hopeful they can deploy a fix by end of next week.

Saturday, May 14, 2016 7:32 PM
  • Just an update;

It seems the issue may be that forums sites (social.???.microsoft.com) and content sites (???.microsoft.com) share same authentication cookie because of SSO, and the cookie is deleted by content site in some cases. Erich is hopeful they can deploy a fix by end of next week.

Now that I know what to look for I can confirm with 99% certainty this is what happens. Easily repeatable.

Read some thread, goto Technet and find a document and or get a link, when I return to reply to thread I find the authentication cookie got destroyed causing me to have to re-authenticate to complete my reply. Repeatable many times.

Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 4:47 PM
  • Now that I know what to look for I can confirm with 99% certainty this is what happens. Easily repeatable.

Read some thread, goto Technet and find a document and or get a link, when I return to reply to thread I find the authentication cookie got destroyed causing me to have to re-authenticate to complete my reply. Repeatable many times.

Fix was pushed early this AM. From what I can tell I believe it is fixed. Erich said the token will still expire once every 24 hours regardless of activity but I think I can live with that.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 19, 2016 10:58 PM
  • Briefly I could not authenticate this morning. But it cleared up after a short while.

Thursday, May 19, 2016 11:32 PM
  • Yea same here. I got the very helpful "we can't sign you in right now" I ended up clearing cookies to resolve that one. I think it might have been the result of the fix they pushed.

Thursday, May 19, 2016 11:33 PM
  • Seems to be working for me now. I used to get an error on pretty much every response.
    Friday, May 20, 2016 2:30 PM