none
Visual Studio Live Share (new tool)

General discussion

• I was introduced to Visual Studio Live Share at Microsoft yesterday which is an amazing tool for working with another developer at another location.

Let’s say you are on the West Coast and another developer needing assisting with a programming issue resides on the East Coast. They contact you and indicate they are in the middle of a debug session and need your help.

When both parties have VSLS installed the east coast developer clicks a button to generate a link, sends the link (in this case) via Skype (could be email etc). The West Coast developer plugs the link in and is now in the East Coast developer’s Visual Studio.

To make things more interesting, they have references in their project you don’t have. Secondly the have a unpleasant Visual Studio theme.

VSLS uses your computer as a host “into” the other computer for references and your theme is used, not theirs so no problem.

They can traverse the code, you see this in real time and if they give you control (a click of a button/pin) their position is tagged with their name and if your position is say two lines above its tagged with your name.

Getting back into a debug session. You can have control and see everything as if on their machine.

The above was a desktop project. Suppose this was a web app/project that runs on local host. The person requiring assistance can grant you the rights (in real time) access to their local host.

Currently you can sign up for trying VSLS out but is not available at this time (well I can and will work with it this weekend).

I think this is going to be an excellent tool for both teams and those who teach or are paid as a contractor to assist others willing to pay.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 12:55 AM

All replies

• Wooooow. Won't that alter these forums in the future regarding helping somebody out...LOL. That would be mind boggling having a developer needing assistance and four or five forum responders VSLS'ng with the developer. How could the Forums keep track???

What if one person has Visual Studio Enterprise and the other has Visual Studio something else or version differences of Visual Studio?

La vida loca

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 4:08 AM
  • Wooooow. Won't that alter these forums in the future regarding helping somebody out...LOL. That would be mind boggling having a developer needing assistance and four or five forum responders VSLS'ng with the developer. How could the Forums keep track???

What if one person has Visual Studio Enterprise and the other has Visual Studio something else or version differences of Visual Studio?

La vida loca

Good questions.

The only requirement for VSLS to work are, VS2017 (any edition) or higher and VSLS needs to be installed.

Concerning “Won't that alter these forums in the future regarding helping somebody out”. It can, it’s all dependent on the parties involved, this can (and guess it will) go in many directions.

This indeed will affect how forum questions are handled for some yet the best thing about this is team work with developers working in the same team but physically separated.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 11:10 AM
  • Well regarding your meeting tomorrow, since you locked the thread, perhaps you could ask if there will become the possibility to go native with non-UWP applications so that a compiled app can have a native output .exe or however all that works.

La vida loca

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 10:52 PM
  • Well regarding your meeting tomorrow, since you locked the thread, perhaps you could ask if there will become the possibility to go native with non-UWP applications so that a compiled app can have a native output .exe or however all that works.

La vida loca

The meeting is about the state of the forums and also online documentation, nothing to do with apps.

I closed the thread as I need to get all the ideas out and into a format to discuss with the teams.

VB Forums - moderator

Thursday, March 8, 2018 12:23 AM