• VS 2013 Professional Update 4
    • Chrome as browser
    • IIS Express
    • Building ASP.NET MVC product

Work Habit

• Write some code and unit tests
    • Run unit tests
    • Run in debug the site, do so some exploratory many tests
    • May step through code if I spot something that looks strange or an unexpected exception thrown
    • Stop debugger
    • Rinse and repeat

I normally keep my browser open as have some blogs, articles and VS Online open to track work.

Symptoms

At first VS and debugging is quick with fast compiles, quick stepping through code and inspecting variables.  However the more cycles of code->test->debug I do, the slower VS becomes.  It becomes so bad that it even for the code to render in the VS window takes over 30 seconds.  Debugging is ridiculously slow and takes 40 seconds to step one line of code.

Observations

At first I closed Visual Studio, reloaded it and solution and then things were back to normal.  However it would perform well for about 20 to 30 minutes then start degrading again.  Repeating this cycle is disruptive to thinking and working and totally reduces productivity.  In this case, I do not close my browser as to keep my context open.

Next, I notice when it becomes slow.  I close all instances of browsers and when closed, VS starts responding again.  This too is annoying as I loose  context of wikis, VS Online, and other blogs and articles I have open.  Closing this down, typically impacts my thoughts and I have to go searching for what I had found.

Both are very annoying and causing productivity loss.

It appears to me that VS is holding onto some resource to chrome even after debugging has ended.  The more times it one does this, the more resources held and the slower it gets.  When terminating the chrome process, VS memory drops as the resources are released.  I would have expected that it do this when ending debugging.

Saturday, May 23, 2015 1:30 AM

Answers

• Thanks for Anirban Bhattacherya's help.

Hi Brett Maytom,

If all web projects have the same issue, maybe we would think about other elements except the projects themselves.

(1) To make sure that whether it is related to your Environment, please debug the app in other VS machine.

(2) Since you use the chrome as the default browser, do you test it in other browser in your machine, for example, the IE. If the same Environment, the same project, it works well in IE, maybe it is related to the browser.

(3)Please clean out the temp files in your site:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dougste/archive/2008/08/11/clearing-out-temporary-asp-net-files.aspx

(4) Please also run your VS in safe mode, so we could make sure that whether it is related to certain add-ins.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241278.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

(5) Please also close all third party processes in your window like Anti-virus software, the firewall or others. Please make sure that your task manager is free when you run your web app.

(6) Since it has this issue when you debug your app, if you run your app with "start without debugging", how about the result? Please also disable the symbol loaded under Tools->Options->Debugging->Symbols.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, May 25, 2015 9:49 AM

All replies

• Is it happening for all solutions or a particular solution? It looks like there is a memory leakage in your solution code blocks that you are working on. Leakages can be extreme JavaScript objects, trapped exceptions, assigned but unused memory variables, using huge caching objects etc. To test the scenario, you can create a simple solution with a sample web page (text to be rendered from code behind to debug) and check whether the same bottlenecks arise or not.

Some more details will be helpful to understand the use case.

Anirban Bhattacharya

Saturday, May 23, 2015 4:17 AM
  • All solutions,   Just created a new solution ASP.NET MVC project using the default project template.  Still happens.
    Saturday, May 23, 2015 9:28 PM
  • Thanks for Anirban Bhattacherya's help.

Hi Brett Maytom,

If all web projects have the same issue, maybe we would think about other elements except the projects themselves.

(1) To make sure that whether it is related to your Environment, please debug the app in other VS machine.

(2) Since you use the chrome as the default browser, do you test it in other browser in your machine, for example, the IE. If the same Environment, the same project, it works well in IE, maybe it is related to the browser.

(3)Please clean out the temp files in your site:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dougste/archive/2008/08/11/clearing-out-temporary-asp-net-files.aspx

(4) Please also run your VS in safe mode, so we could make sure that whether it is related to certain add-ins.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241278.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

(5) Please also close all third party processes in your window like Anti-virus software, the firewall or others. Please make sure that your task manager is free when you run your web app.

(6) Since it has this issue when you debug your app, if you run your app with "start without debugging", how about the result? Please also disable the symbol loaded under Tools->Options->Debugging->Symbols.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, May 25, 2015 9:49 AM