none
Unable to add more then two users or any groups to VS 2015 Profiler

Question

• I have an issue that has recently sprung up. I have followed the instructions in https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms182387.aspx article to allow user access to the Profiler driver. I am able to add 2 users but when I try to add a third I get the following error.

VSP1468: Unable to write new Security Descriptor for profiling. The data area passed to a system call is too small.

When I try to add a domain group the driver is unable to find the group and adding a local group works but does not allow the user to access the driver.

Thursday, March 8, 2018 8:40 PM

All replies

• Hi warnite,

Does it have this issue if you use the VS2017?

How did you run this command line in your side?

vsperfcmd /admin:security,allow,<right[,right],<user name|group name>

Could you share a screen shot about this command line in your side?

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 9, 2018 2:30 AM
  • Hello Jack,

Unfortunately this system is in a secure area so I am unable to take any screenshots. The command I have been using is:

vsperfcmd /admin:security,allow,fullaccess,USERNAME

I loaded this into a simple bat file with the following:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Team Tools\Performance Tools\vsperfcmd" /admin:driver,start /admin:driver,start
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Team Tools\Performance Tools\vsperfcmd" /admin:security,allow,fullaccess,
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Team Tools\Performance Tools\vsperfcmd" /admin:driver,autostart,on

I also tried without the bat file and still unable to add more then 2 users. We are also stuck with 2015 at this time.

Thanks

Friday, March 9, 2018 1:51 PM
  • Hi warnite,

I just test it using the VS2017 even if I don't test it using the VS2015, but I think I found the real reason for this issue.

You need to run the Developer Command Prompt as the Administrator:

If I didn't open it as the admin, I will get the same error as yours.

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 12, 2018 8:36 AM
  • Hi warnite,

Would you please share the latest information in your side?

Do you resolve this issue if you run the Developer Command Prompt window as the admin?

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support

Friday, March 16, 2018 9:49 AM