none
how to install and configure smtp server in windows 7

Answers

All replies

• Hello programmer on.net,

hi all,

how to configure smtp server in widows 7

programmer on .net

Your request is too general and, if you're referring to an application to send mail you have created.?

Regards.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 3:51 PM
  • hi all,

programmer on .net

Check this two threads:

http://www.codeproject.com/Questions/161878/Configuring-SMTP-Server-In-Windows-7

Setting up SMTP in IIS 7

That should answer your query.

If you are still facing any isses, Consider posting your queries in iis forums. They can help you better.

Welcome to MSDN Forums.
    Feel free to ask your questions and Please Note to Vote helpful topics and Mark answering posts.

You Value Community's efforts and Community values your faith.
    - Arun Kumar Allu

Saturday, February 25, 2012 3:53 PM
  • Hey there's a gotcha here..

Excerpt from this thread @ http://geekswithblogs.net/ferdous/archive/2011/03/15/smtp-setup-for-windows-7.aspx

SMTP isn't included in Windows 7 by default. But you can install Remote Server Administration Tools that includes SMTP Server Tools for Windows 7. It enables IT administrators to manage roles and features that are installed on remote computers that are running Windows Server 2008 R2 but it can be installed ONLY on computers that are running the Enterprise, Professional, or Ultimate editions of Windows 7.

Hope this answers your question.

Welcome to MSDN Forums.
    Feel free to ask your questions and Please Note to Vote helpful topics and Mark answering posts.

You Value Community's efforts and Community values your faith.
    - Arun Kumar Allu

Saturday, February 25, 2012 3:57 PM
  • I've installed the Remote Administration Tools on my Win7 x64 Ultimate SP1 machine.  I don't see the SMTP service.  This seems to make sense though since the Remote Administration Tools would seem to allow only "remote administration" of servers which have these features installed - the tools themselves wouldn't actually install the SMTP service locally to a Win7 machine.

It looks like I'll have to use a 3rd party SMTP server.

Am I missing something?

If this post is helpful, please mark it as such!
    Dave Black, MCPD, MCTS
    http://dave-black.blogspot.com

Monday, August 13, 2012 3:39 PM
  • I'm trying to do the same thing, any suggestions for an easy to set up smtp server for windows 7?
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 2:26 PM
  • In order to be able to use the tools contained within RSAT (Remote Server Admin Toolkit) you have to first download RSAT from Microsoft and install it. Then, go into Programs and Features in the control panel. Select that you want to add or remove windows components. Then you will notice the toolkit in the list of items and you can check the ones that you have a use for.
    • Proposed as answer by Dhiraj Bhavsar Wednesday, February 26, 2014 7:53 AM
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 11:46 AM
  • So it it possible to install this on a consumer-grade Windows 7?  I am not finding any way to make SMTP run on my machine.
    Sunday, December 2, 2012 8:22 PM
  • But how do we install SMTP on the Windows 7 box?  Everyone seems to be posting irrelevant and unhelpful content about how to do remote administration of SMTP from a Windows 7 machine, when the inquiry is about setting up SMTP locally on a non-server machine.
    Sunday, December 2, 2012 8:24 PM
  • SMTP E-Mail will be available if you add ASP.NET service to IIS
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 6:33 AM
  • I was looking for an answer too.  Here's what I found, direct and to the point when IIS 7 is installed on a Windows 7 PC:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772058(v=ws.10).aspx

• Proposed as answer by agundrum Monday, March 4, 2013 7:19 PM
    Monday, March 4, 2013 7:18 PM
  • Hi,

I want to do the following configuration for SMTP SERVER silenty/using command line parameters.

**************************************************************************************************************
     IIS --> Properties --> Access --> Relay restriction --> Add IP address under Single computer as 127.0.0.1
     **************************************************************************************************************

I got the link to do it interactively, but not silently.
     http://docs.nimsoft.com/prodhelp/en_US/FlowAnalysis/1.0/InstallationGuide/index.htm?toc.htm?2022224.html

Can someone help me?
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:15 AM
  • The "SMTP E-Mail" feature in the ASP.NET features section on IIS7, is again, just for using an existing server (including a  local one). It has a checkbox for using localhost, but that just tells System.Net.Mail to use the local SMTP server. It does't actually stand one up.

Use localhost: Sets the name of the SMTP server to LocalHost. Setting the name to LocalHost means that System.Net.Mail will send e-mail to the SMTP server on the local computer.

For development purposes this could be useful

Store e-mail in pickup directory - Configures System.Net.Mail to store e-mail messages in a file location on disk for later delivery by an application such as an ASP.NET application, or by a user, such as an administrator

johntrepreneur

Saturday, October 26, 2013 11:50 PM
  • hi all,

programmer on .net

this may also be of your interest some way.

How to set up Relay in SMTP Server on Windows Server 2008

Ranvir Sharma for Pratibha Total IT Solutions SMTPSERVER.in (EMPowering Business Relationship) 9555687676, 8826323688

Thursday, December 5, 2013 3:52 PM
  • I was looking for an answer too.  Here's what I found, direct and to the point when IIS 7 is installed on a Windows 7 PC:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772058(v=ws.10).aspx

How does that help set-up a local SMTP server on Windows 7?
    Wednesday, August 27, 2014 3:53 PM
  • I gone through complete post. It is waste of time. Finally no  one answer how to start local smtp server on windows 7.
    Friday, September 4, 2015 2:56 AM
  • Is this for local development testing? I always use Smtp4Dev for that. I'd advise against setting up your own SMTP service and use SendGrid, AWS or similar services, that way your emails won't be caught in spam filters.

Mark good replies as helpful and correct ones as answers! - http://blog.filipekberg.se
    Check out my recently published book C# Smorgasbord on Amazon

Friday, September 4, 2015 3:01 AM
  • But how to install SMTP server on the computer which is already installed with Windows 7 Enterprise with SP 1 ?  Because, the instruction says, 1st we need to  install Remote Server Administration Tools and then only upgrade to SP1.  

In my case, my system is already updated with SP1 which I can't uninstall.  Please help.  Thanks.

Monday, March 26, 2018 3:01 PM