MFC and Windows10 RRS feed

• Question

• What is the future of MFC, now that Win10 is soon to come?

In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 11:15 PM

Answers

• I do not think there will be any problem with the lack of support using MFC application on Windows 10. U have the Windows 10 Technical Preview in a VM running for testing purposes and my applications run without problems.

For the next years I do not think the support of MFC will end. I even do not believe the Desktop we all know will vanish in the next Windows versions. The only thing that may happen is the computer for home users and professionals (development, DTP, CAD, ...) may be different. To write a text and sufing the internet you may use a different device in comparsion to a professional...

Best regards

Bordon

Note: Posted code pieces may not have a good programming style and may not perfect. It is also possible that they do not work in all situations. Code pieces are only indended to explain something particualar.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 6:13 AM

In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it.

Why do you think Windows 10 will make any change to the status of MFC?

Compared to Windows 8, Windows 10 seems to be re-emphasizing the desktop, and many existing desktop applications are written in MFC.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 12:07 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting here.

I think there is not necessary relationship between MFC future and Win10. However as to the topic of the MFC future, in my opinion we should keep optimistic attitude to the future including the future of MFC.

Currently MFC has got some new additions , such as mostly classes that allow it to interact easily with Windows Forms, and VC++ lets us mix native applications (including MFC applications) with .NET seamlessly. There’re going to be a good number of applications whose UI is developed with MFC but will extensively take advantage of the .NET classes for enhanced functionality with minimal lines of code.

Generally speaking, if you are interested in MFC, you may have a try to keep learning it.

By the way, if you have any expectation or suggestions for MFC or VC++, you can feedback your voice here.

https://www.uservoice.com/

Thanks,

May

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 3:26 AM

All replies

Why do you think Windows 10 will make any change to the status of MFC?

Compared to Windows 8, Windows 10 seems to be re-emphasizing the desktop, and many existing desktop applications are written in MFC.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 12:07 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting here.

I think there is not necessary relationship between MFC future and Win10. However as to the topic of the MFC future, in my opinion we should keep optimistic attitude to the future including the future of MFC.

Currently MFC has got some new additions , such as mostly classes that allow it to interact easily with Windows Forms, and VC++ lets us mix native applications (including MFC applications) with .NET seamlessly. There’re going to be a good number of applications whose UI is developed with MFC but will extensively take advantage of the .NET classes for enhanced functionality with minimal lines of code.

Generally speaking, if you are interested in MFC, you may have a try to keep learning it.

By the way, if you have any expectation or suggestions for MFC or VC++, you can feedback your voice here.

https://www.uservoice.com/

Thanks,

May

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 3:26 AM
  • I do not think there will be any problem with the lack of support using MFC application on Windows 10. U have the Windows 10 Technical Preview in a VM running for testing purposes and my applications run without problems.

For the next years I do not think the support of MFC will end. I even do not believe the Desktop we all know will vanish in the next Windows versions. The only thing that may happen is the computer for home users and professionals (development, DTP, CAD, ...) may be different. To write a text and sufing the internet you may use a different device in comparsion to a professional...

Best regards

Bordon

Note: Posted code pieces may not have a good programming style and may not perfect. It is also possible that they do not work in all situations. Code pieces are only indended to explain something particualar.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 6:13 AM