none
WinForms designer view questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have another set of generic questions please.

We are in the process of evaluating VS Isolated Shell integration. We currently have a product that hosts designer's, including the WinForms one using .NET designer stack. All of our files are saved in some proprietary Xml format using .xml extension. When we go VS Shell route, we'd like to be able to open files in VS Shell using the same WinForms designer we use in our product now.

I'm seeing 2 issues with VS Shell conversion so far on designers side.

1 - All samples I've seen like Iron Python and Storyboard Designer use code behind to supply CodeDom in order to create document's designer (and editor) view. We don't have or use code behind files. And we don't even have a custom language to integrate for that matter. Our .xml file is just a root component (custom) serialized with properties and all of its contained components. Can we still use our own serializer to create an instance of the root component and hand it over to some VSX piece to create a designer view out of that?

And 2 - having all of our files the same .xml extension. Would that be a problem with having an entirely different designers shown, depending on which file is selected? Provided that we have our editor factory in place, would we have to use something like SubType to identify which designer view to create? Just to expand on that, some of our .xml files are currently editable using WinForms designer, and some using a home-grown designer.

Any feedback would be very much welcome. Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 6:34 PM