Running VB6 app under Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a legacy VB6 application written using Access 97 MDB and DAO that must
    run under Wndows 7 and Access 2007. A few questions:

1. Can I use DAO with VB6 and win7 with office 2007 installed? If so, what
    version of DAO files should I use, and has it been tested or certified?

2. Am I better off switching to ADO with Access, and if so, why?  And if so,
    what version? Will this make the conversion more time consuming and expensive
    because we have to modify extensive program code?  

3.  What combination of VB6, win7, and MS Access does MS recommend when
    office 2007 is installed on machines? And will this combo still work if a
    particular user has upgraded to Office 2010 (before or after my software is
    installed), but I am using/installing Office 2007 jet Access engine
    components?

4. Do they (MS) have suggestions as to who to look at for text box, grid,
    data control, etc? I'm using Crescent controls and the protoview grid and
    need to know if they are compatible.

Thanks

Carl
    Friday, September 24, 2010 12:18 PM

Answers

• I believe that DAO will only work for Access 2007/2010 databases if you are running the code from Microsoft Access. Otherwise, you would need to use ADO and the ACE OLEDB Provider.

http://www.connectionstrings.com/access-2007

For Windows 7 the latest version of ADO is 6.0.

If Office 2007 or 2010 is installed you will be using ACE OLEDB. The connection string is the same for both versions. Keep in mind that you cannot install 64-bit Office for use with VB 6.0, so the 32-bit version is required.

With respect to third-party compatibility with Windows 7 you would need to check with the vendors. Officially Microsoft doesn't support Visual Basic 6.0 anymore, with the exception of the run time libraries and controls included with VB 6.0.

FYI, this forum is primarily for questions concerning interop with VB 6.0 and VB.NET. For future VB 6.0 questions see the following resource:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/6a0719fe-14af-47f7-9f51-a8ea2b9c8d6b

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Friday, September 24, 2010 3:50 PM