none
Testing a web site without html code using Visual Studio Enterprise 2017 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.  I am a 3rd party tester.  I am new to MS Visual Studio and testing websites.  I do not have access to the website's code.  I am looking for a tool that can help me manage my test plans, suites, procedures, and partially automate some of my test steps.  Is MS Visual Studio Enterprise 2017 a good tool for managing test plans, suites and procedures?  Using MS Visual Studio Enterprise 2017, can I create an item which opens a browser and a website, then use this item as a project dependency/reference?  I appreciate any help I can get.  Thanks.
    Tuesday, September 24, 2019 8:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Web_Tester,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

> > Is MS Visual Studio Enterprise 2017 a good tool for managing test plans, suites and procedures? 

## Microsoft Visual Studio Enterprise 2017 provides us with web performance test feature, it is usually used for testing web site by analyzing requests, using web-plugins and editing some parameters. You could create a web performance test project and record for operations of the website, the project will record the requests for you to monitor the process. All test plans, parameters, requests, properties are saved in this project and easy for managing.

## Since this feature (Web Performance Test) will not be continue supported and updated by Microsoft in future versions of Visual Studio (you could still use in Visual Studio Enterprise 2017), if you need more support in future, you might need to consider other alternative web test application.

> > Using MS Visual Studio Enterprise 2017, can I create an item which opens a browser and a website, then use this item as a project dependency/reference?

## Web Performance Test supports this feature. When you create a web test file and try to record the operations you perform on website, VS will help you to open a browser and you could type URL to the specified website for further test, you will not need to depend on other projects.  

Hope all above are helpful and any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 5:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Web_Tester,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

> > Is MS Visual Studio Enterprise 2017 a good tool for managing test plans, suites and procedures? 

## Microsoft Visual Studio Enterprise 2017 provides us with web performance test feature, it is usually used for testing web site by analyzing requests, using web-plugins and editing some parameters. You could create a web performance test project and record for operations of the website, the project will record the requests for you to monitor the process. All test plans, parameters, requests, properties are saved in this project and easy for managing.

## Since this feature (Web Performance Test) will not be continue supported and updated by Microsoft in future versions of Visual Studio (you could still use in Visual Studio Enterprise 2017), if you need more support in future, you might need to consider other alternative web test application.

> > Using MS Visual Studio Enterprise 2017, can I create an item which opens a browser and a website, then use this item as a project dependency/reference?

## Web Performance Test supports this feature. When you create a web test file and try to record the operations you perform on website, VS will help you to open a browser and you could type URL to the specified website for further test, you will not need to depend on other projects.  

Hope all above are helpful and any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 5:48 AM
  • Thank you for the help.  Very much appreciated, Tianyu!  :-)
    Friday, September 27, 2019 7:13 PM
  • Hi Web_Tester,

Thank you for the feedback.

We are so glad to hear that our suggestions could help you.

If possible, could you please mark the useful reply as answer, so that other members of this forum who have the similar issue could refer to this thread.

BTW, if you have any web testing questions in the future, feel free to let us know and we will try our best to help you.

Wish you a nice day.

Best Regards,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support

Sunday, September 29, 2019 1:24 AM