none
Missing Desktop Extension SDK RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I am trying to build MultipleViews from Windows 10 sample but failed due to missing Microsoft Desktop Extension SDK for Universal App Platform.

I just installed Visual Studio 2017 with all UWP options checked on this machine. I don't see option 'Windows Desktop Extensions for the UWP' as shown on https://stefanwick.com/2018/04/06/uwp-with-desktop-extension-part-1/

How do I get this option enabled?

Thanks!

Friday, December 21, 2018 2:48 PM

Answers

• Hi cscpp,

Glad to hear my solution is helpful for you and thank you for take the time to discuss with us.

Please mark it as answer that I have purposed the solution. For that, more and more members could know this issue and get a favor quickly.

BTW, the principle of our forum is that a post only discusses one issue. So If you have other issue of Windows SDK in VS or VS SDK, you should restart a new thread to ask. About Android SDK issue, I recommend you redirect it to the Android SDK forum for a professional supporting.

Thank you for your understanding.

Br

May

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by cscpp Monday, December 31, 2018 4:55 PM
    Friday, December 28, 2018 7:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Generally the Microsoft Desktop Extension SDK is a part of the Windows 10 SDK. After you had installed the Windows 10 SDK, it will be installed automatically.

What's the version of the Windows 10 SDK that you had installed? Could you please give me a screenshot about the reference window to see what's really going on?

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 24, 2018 6:09 AM
  • Hi Roy,

Thanks for the reply. I'm unable to post screen shot, waiting for verification. But I created a Windows 10 dev environment VM under Hyper-V, VS 2017 v 15.4.2  That works, all extensions (desktop, iot, mobile, Team) show up.

On my host machine with newly installed VS 2017 v 15.9.4. I , I don't see any of those extensions. The SDK version is 1809 Build 17763. I also tried

. Install all other SDK versions thru Visual Studio installer, same result.

. I also downloaded Windows 10 SDK, installer asked me to remove other versions or something like that. So I removed all Win 10 options thru Visual Studio installer, and then ran Windows 10 SDK. After installation, Visual Studio does not recognized the SDK installed by Win 10 SDK installer. 

Thanks,

Kevin

Monday, December 24, 2018 10:18 PM
  • Hi ,

Since the problem is more related to Visual Studio's Setup and Installation, I'll help you to move this thread to the Visual Studio Setup and Installation. You could get more professional support there.

Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 25, 2018 7:37 AM
  • Hi cscpp,

I checked the article you shared and let me confirm some info:

Did you could not find the extension in reference manager? For eliminating a mess steps, you’d better follow the below steps to sure again: create a UWP project – right click reference tab in solution explorer – choose universe window to check if the extension exists or not.

If not, did you meet any error during installing VS? For now, you should go to VS installer to uncheck and re-check UWP workload, then click “repair” button in installer window. after that, please re-run VS 2017 to check.

If you met any newest error for that, please let me know.

Sincerely,

May

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, December 25, 2018 10:03 AM
  • Hi May,

Thanks. I did a repair but that doesn't fix the issue. I didn't see any error during installation or repair. I noticed that Windows Kits is now installed under c:\Windows Kits. As I remember, this was installed under Program Files (x86) by earlier VS 2017 versions. And Android is installed under c:\Android . I changed all 3 default installation folders on VS installer by the way.

I did tried the same steps as the article, but I don't see any UWP extension under Reference. The Win 10 dev env VM distributed by MS (Hyper-V, Quick Create, Windows 10 dev environment) works though, all Desktop, Iot, Mobile, Team extensions show up and no problem building the sample.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Wednesday, December 26, 2018 6:35 PM
  • Hi cscpp

Reviewing your last reply, I have some confused need to confirm.

On my host machine with newly installed VS 2017 v 15.9.4. I , I don't see any of those extensions.” Did you mean that you cannot see any extension in “reference manager”?  

The SDK version is 1809 Build 17763. I also tried where you check this version of SDK?

I tried to repro your issue again (VS 15.9.4). I find it is unnecessary to checked any extra Win 10 SDK in installer workload. In general, when you check the “UWP ” workload, the Win 10 SDK (10.0.17763.0) will automatically be included there.

As far as I know, Win 10 SDK kits and file are default installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10. So Could you share the screenshot of C:\Windows Kits? You’ d better open the path and check if there is some extension file.

And I re-check the path of “Desktop Extension SDK” in IDE. It is stored in C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Extension SDKs\WindowsDesktop. Please go to the path for a check. If you don’t see any folder of extension there.

You could copy the c:\Windows Kits folder to C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10, make sure all pending hotfix in Windows Updates have installed and reboot your PC. then checking if it could be recognized in VS.

BTW, why are you change default path of installer? the change is possible to cause the update and repair failed in local.

May

Thursday, December 27, 2018 6:29 AM
  • Hi May,

I put all development kits under one folder for many reasons.

I manually created the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Extension SDKs , and copied the contents of c:\Windows Kits\10\Extension SDKs over, that fixed the problem. It appears VS installer and VS are out of sync, as installer is set to c:\Windows Kits and VS is reading C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits

Besides Windows Kits, Android SDK is installed under c:\Android and NDK is installed to c:\Microsoft\AndroidNDK64

It failed compiling Xamarin SanAngeles sample, VS output window shows

1>ANDROID_HOME=C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\AndroidSDK\25
    1>ANT_HOME=C:\devtools\vs2017\Professional\Apps\apache-ant-1.9.3
    1>JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Android\jdk\microsoft_dist_openjdk_1.8.0.9

1>NDK_ROOT=

Looks like changing the default install folders creates lots of problems. I'll reinstall with default folders when I get a chance.

Here's the content of C:\Windows Kits\10\Extension SDKs\WindowsDesktop\10.0.17763.0 by the way

Directory of C:\Windows Kits\10\Extension SDKs\WindowsDesktop\10.0.17763.0
    12/23/2018  09:13 AM    <DIR>          .
    12/23/2018  09:13 AM    <DIR>          ..
    12/23/2018  09:13 AM    <DIR>          DesignTime
    10/23/2018  12:34 AM            39,965 PreviousPlatforms.xml
    10/23/2018  12:34 AM             5,327 SDKManifest.xml
                   2 File(s)         45,292 bytes
     Directory of C:\Windows Kits\10\Extension SDKs\WindowsDesktop\10.0.17763.0\DesignTime
    12/23/2018  09:13 AM    <DIR>          CommonConfiguration
                   0 File(s)              0 bytes
     Directory of C:\Windows Kits\10\Extension SDKs\WindowsDesktop\10.0.17763.0\DesignTime\CommonConfiguration
    12/23/2018  09:13 AM    <DIR>          Neutral
                   0 File(s)              0 bytes
     Directory of C:\Windows Kits\10\Extension SDKs\WindowsDesktop\10.0.17763.0\DesignTime\CommonConfiguration\Neutral
    09/26/2018  07:20 PM             1,212 WindowsDesktop.props

Thanks,

Kevin

• Proposed as answer by thomaskl2005 Thursday, March 21, 2019 2:30 PM
    Thursday, December 27, 2018 5:29 PM
  • Hi cscpp,

Glad to hear my solution is helpful for you and thank you for take the time to discuss with us.

Please mark it as answer that I have purposed the solution. For that, more and more members could know this issue and get a favor quickly.

BTW, the principle of our forum is that a post only discusses one issue. So If you have other issue of Windows SDK in VS or VS SDK, you should restart a new thread to ask. About Android SDK issue, I recommend you redirect it to the Android SDK forum for a professional supporting.

Thank you for your understanding.

Br

May

• Marked as answer by cscpp Monday, December 31, 2018 4:55 PM
    Friday, December 28, 2018 7:30 AM
  • Symbolic link works also:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits>mklink /d 10 "e:\Windows Kits\10"
    symbolic link created for 10 <<===>> e:\Windows Kits\10

Friday, August 9, 2019 7:41 PM