none
WF4 for High Volume Transaction Apps

Question

• Hi!

I am in the middle of redesigning my application and I would like to consider WF4 as the center piece for my application logic. My application is an sms gateway service and it can reach up to millions of hits within a short period of time. I would like to know whether WF4 is suitable to be used for millions of hits type of application.

Thank You :)

Best Regards,

Serena

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:40 PM

All replies

• Hi I did some prototyping using WF4 as an ETL tool. My idea was to plug in bits of logic for each row of data (kind of like what SSIS does). To cut a long story short it is not scalable if you schedule thousands of child activities and in fairness this is not what it is designed for. So I guess it depends how you use it and where you are going to allow plug ins. T
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 3:27 PM
  • Hi!

Basically I am using WF4 to determine which processing logic to run depending on which telco. I do not foresee the child activities exceeding 10 at the moment (at most maybe 20 in future). But I am concern about it not scaling because at any one time, there could be millions of smses coming in.

Best Regards,

Serena

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:39 AM
  • I havent tested high concurrency i.e. multiple workflows running at the same time. You should set up a simple prototype that simulates your environment. Would be an interesting result.
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:35 AM
  • Hi all,

As T Rex i used multiple workflows instance at same time withoute really trouble (easier was with WorkflowServiceHost). It's only slow with really big xaml workflow definitions.

Jérémy Jeanson MCP, MCTS http://blogs.codes-sources.com/JeremyJeanson/ (French or English spoken)
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 7:53 AM
  • Hi,

I have created a load test on a simple unit test to load the workflow service. The service produces hundreds over errors under load. I hosted the service in WAS and using netTcpBinding. I will file the error in a new thread.

Thanks.

Monday, August 30, 2010 12:44 AM
  • Hi Firedancer,

What was your error list?

Jérémy Jeanson MCP, MCTS http://blogs.codes-sources.com/JeremyJeanson/ (French or English spoken)
    Monday, August 30, 2010 8:09 AM