We want to transfer all project collections from a TFS 2013 server to a new TFS 2017 server (same domain, new hardware). We plan to
0. Quiesce TFS 2013 server (using TFSServiceControl)
1. Backup TFS 2013 TFS_Confguration, all Project Collection DBs, TFS_Warehouse, but not (Reporting Server, Analysis DBs)
2. Restore TFS_Configuration, all Project Collections, TFS_Warehouse DBs on the TFS 2017 server
3. Use the TFS 2017 Upgrade Wizard "I have existing databases to use for this Team Foundation Servewr deployment" option, point it to the newly restored TFS_Configuration DB and do a pre-production upgrade.
4. Use the TFS Admin Console Rebuild Reporting databases option to re-populate Reporting and Analysis DBs
Theoretically, it sounds OK, but not experience this before. I suggest you have a test first.
MSDN Community Support
Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to
MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.