none
RESTful WCF Workflow Service RRS feed

• Question

• Folks,

I'm in the middle of building a service (.xamlx) that is basically going to support a document submission workflow. Via the web service, I want clients to be able to POST a big ol' XML file into my system. This is going to kick off a big, long-running, persistable, AppFabric-managed workflow. Clients will be able to poll this (or another) service to get the status of the document processing.

My issue right now is that it appears as though, out of the box, what I get is straight-up WSDL-style services that use standard web service tactics. I was wondering if there was something I could do, either via web.config or via the workflow designer, that would allow me to have my WCF-hosted workflow AND have the endpoint be a RESTful (or even REST-ish... i'm not picky) one. In other words, I want to be able to POST an arbitrary blob of XML to my workflow service (complete with authentication tokens in custom HTTP headers).

Is this possible? If so, how?

http://www.kotancode.com
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 3:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In WCF Workflow Services you don't define a service contract as an interface, the contract is projected from the XAMLX. This means that a lot of the functionality provided by attributing contracts is not supported.

One option may be to build a classic WCF facade service infront of the WCF Workflow Service to expose a RESTful endpoint and call the workflow service using SOAP.

Regards,

Alan

www.CloudCasts.net - Community Webcasts Powered by Azure
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 5:50 PM