How to capture entire UserControl image to ClipBoard? RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a WPF UserControl using C# with .Net3.5 and VS 2008.  The UserControl contains several other elements, like Grids, Panels, Labels, TextBoxes, etc.  I want to provide a public method CopyControlToClipboard() that captures an image of the entire UserControl as a BMP and place it in the Clipboard.  The application that includes the UserControl should simply need to define some action (button click, menu item, etc) that calls this method.

How can I do this?

Thanks, Dave

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 12:09 AM

Answers

• Hi Dave,

I have received the mail, thanks for sending again.

Yes, WPF RenderTargetBitmap cannot render the DX content, or we can consider it cannot render the content which is not the element in visual tree. So we have to use other solution  like Windows does when we press "Alt+PrScrn".

Regarding to capture DX content, there is a blog that introduces: http://spazzarama.wordpress.com/2009/02/07/screencapture-with-direct3d/ and we need a library - SlimDX . You could try ti use this solution to capture the specific bound of the window. Just convert the coordinate of the bound to the screen coordinate.

I note that you have done one solution to capture the DX content only, so the key problem is how to add the captured DX image into the WPF visual. I think you could try to convert the captured image from DX content to ImageSource by System.Windows.Interop.Imaging.CreateBitmapSourceFromHBitmap(), and then add this image into the WPF panel to instead of the DX content. Using RenderTargetBitmap to render both into clip board. At last, remove the image and resume the DX content.

Size size = this.RenderSize;
      RenderTargetBitmap rtb = new RenderTargetBitmap((int)size.Width, (int)size.Height, 96, 96, PixelFormats.Pbgra32);

this.SomePanel.Children.Add(ImageFromDXContent);
      this.Measure(size);
      rtb.Render(this);
      this.SomePanel.Children.Remove(ImageFromDXContent);

Sincerely,
    Bob Bao 

--------------------------------------------------

This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Are you looking for a typical code sample? Please download all in one code framework !
    • Marked as answer by Jie Bao Thursday, October 28, 2010 1:46 AM
    Friday, October 8, 2010 5:49 AM

All replies

• Hi DaveTMG,

WPF provides the RenderTargetBitmap class that can render the visual element into image and we could save the image to file or into clip board. So you could add a public method as you said - CopyControlToClipboard() and create an instance of the RenderTargetBitmap to render the usercontrol. Please note to render a whilt background, since the original is black.

public bool CopyControlToClipboard()
      {
       try
       {
        RenderTargetBitmap rtb = new RenderTargetBitmap((int)size.Width, (int)size.Height, 96, 96, PixelFormats.Pbgra32);

// Render a white background in Clipboard
        Rectangle vRect = new Rectangle()
        {
         Width = this.RenderSize.Width,
         Height = this.RenderSize.Height,
         Fill = Brushes.White
        };
        vRect.Measure(size);
        vRect.Arrange(new Rect(size));
        rtb.Render(vRect);

this.Measure(size);
        this.Arrange(new Rect(size));
        rtb.Render(this);

Clipboard.SetImage(rtb);
        return true;
       }
       catch (Exception ex)
       {
        return false;
       }
      }

Sincerely,
    Bob Bao

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum 

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Are you looking for a typical code sample? Please download all in one code framework !
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 5:09 AM
  • Bob,

Thanks for your reply.  I had mixed results with the provided solution.  I sent you an email message with more information about my UserControl with some screenshots of the results.

Thanks,

Dave

Thursday, October 7, 2010 12:08 AM
  • Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply! But I did not receive the mail message. My mail address: v-bobbao at microsoft dot com

And here I want to explain why we need to

element.Measure(size);
    element.Arrange(new Rect(size));

for both the UserControl and the background Rectangle.

The purpose for re-measure and re-arrange the UserControl is to ensure the UserControl has been rendered and the range start from (0,0). Sometime, if we donot add the control in the view and want to render the control to image without showing it, we must to re-measure and re-arrange it.  However, if you have shown the UserControl at other range, the range may not start from (0,0). Above code can lead to dislocation. So please check if the control is rendered at the correct location, and the feasible code may be:

// Render a white background in Clipboard
        Rectangle vRect = new Rectangle()
        {
         Width = this.RenderSize.Width,
         Height = this.RenderSize.Height,
         Fill = Brushes.White
        };
        vRect.Measure(size);
        vRect.Arrange(new Rect(size));
        rtb.Render(vRect);

this.Measure(size);
        // this.Arrange(new Rect(size));
        // Do not arraneg the control again and it does not affect the visual
        rtb.Render(this);

Sincerely,
    Bob Bao
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 3:13 AM
  • Bob,

Oops, I sent the email to the MSDN support address provided at the bottom of your reply.  I just re-sent it to your address.  I will experiment with the change you suggested (leave off Arrange).

Thanks again.

Dave

Thursday, October 7, 2010 4:22 PM
  • Hi Dave,

I have received the mail, thanks for sending again.

Yes, WPF RenderTargetBitmap cannot render the DX content, or we can consider it cannot render the content which is not the element in visual tree. So we have to use other solution  like Windows does when we press "Alt+PrScrn".

Regarding to capture DX content, there is a blog that introduces: http://spazzarama.wordpress.com/2009/02/07/screencapture-with-direct3d/ and we need a library - SlimDX . You could try ti use this solution to capture the specific bound of the window. Just convert the coordinate of the bound to the screen coordinate.

I note that you have done one solution to capture the DX content only, so the key problem is how to add the captured DX image into the WPF visual. I think you could try to convert the captured image from DX content to ImageSource by System.Windows.Interop.Imaging.CreateBitmapSourceFromHBitmap(), and then add this image into the WPF panel to instead of the DX content. Using RenderTargetBitmap to render both into clip board. At last, remove the image and resume the DX content.

this.SomePanel.Children.Add(ImageFromDXContent);
      this.Measure(size);
      rtb.Render(this);
      this.SomePanel.Children.Remove(ImageFromDXContent);

Sincerely,
    Bob Bao 

--------------------------------------------------

This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

• Marked as answer by Jie Bao Thursday, October 28, 2010 1:46 AM
    Friday, October 8, 2010 5:49 AM
  • Bob,

Not sure how to get the second parameter of the method CreateBitmapSourceFromHBitmap().  It wants an IntPtr to the bmp palette.  My ImageCapture class uses user32.dll and gdi32.dll to capture the Panel's content into the Bitmap as follows:

System.Drawing.Bitmap bmp = ImageCapture.Control( pnlD3DSurface );

To use the CreateBitmapSourceFromHBitmap() method I need the following parameters:

CreateBitmapSourceFromHBitmap(IntPtr bitmap, Intptr palette, Int32Rect sourceRect, BitmapSizeOptions)

I believe I can use bmp.GetHbitmap() for the first parameter, Int32Rect.Empty for the third and BitmapSizeOptions.FromEmptyOptions for the fourth.

Where can I get the palette parameter?  I do not see a member of Bitmap that can provide this.

Thanks,

Dave

Friday, October 8, 2010 6:21 PM
  • Hi Dave,

We can set the second parameter palette to IntPtr.Zero. It need not to get the palette information if the Bitmap  does not have the palette. Please try, if you have any problem, please feel fee to let me know.

Sincerely,
    Bob Bao

Monday, October 11, 2010 7:28 AM