none
Visual Studio 2015 gives error when compiling project including a reference whose path includes spaces RRS feed

• Question

• My C# project includes a reference to a DLL under C:\Program Files (x86)\.  Visual Studio 2015 allows me to add this reference but when the project is built, an error appears:

Metadata file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\...' could not be found

1) the error message is mysterious.

2) This worked fine in VS 2010.

3) Yes; there's the obvious work-around of copying the necessary DLLs to another folder.

Can someone at MS comment on this?

Friday, April 29, 2016 6:45 PM

Answers

• Hi Chem Mitch,

Thank you for your post. I tested it on my side. If the folder name contains space, everything works fine. If the file name contains space. It will throw error.

>>"Visual Studio 2015 gives error when compiling project including a reference whose path includes spaces"

I don't think it related to the path spaces, you could copy to another folder with spaces and try again. I think it related to the permissions issue. Run your visual studio as administrator and try again.

Best Regards,
    Li Wang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, May 2, 2016 7:57 AM