none
Deploying Custom TFS Reports Across Team Projects

Question

• I had a question about the best way to deploy (and maintain) custom reports that are used across multiple team projects.  In MSDN guides that I've found, little is discussed about creating reports beyond that of your own team project.  Or the author briefly addresses it by telling the reader they can just make a copy of the report and drop it in another team project.

This does't work so well when maintaining a report across 20+ Team Projects.

From a developer standpoint, I would ideally prefer to make a report change and then have a single deployment destination, where all other Team Projects can see the latest changes.

Can I accomplish this with linked reports, where I define a deployment location and then create linked reports within each of the team projects? This would require more up-front configuration but would theoretically be easier to push out enhancements.

What do others to in this scenario?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Thursday, December 22, 2011 7:41 PM

Answers

• Hello Matt,

First, in my opinion actually your issue is not related to TFS. As the reporting service actually is organized in the folder mode, so the linked reports are not supported in the TFS.

In addition, as far as I know that you can deploy your report to target destination in the SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio. I think you’ better consult reporting service experts on the SQL Server Reporting Services for better support:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlreportingservices/threads

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Friday, December 23, 2011 9:01 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback.  I did a little more research on this issue and here is what I concluded:

Linked Reports do work when being viewed on the Reporting Server directly.

On the Report Server, I created a new folder under /TfsReports/DefaultCollection, called "SharedCollectionReports".  This is where I store my reports that are shared across all team projects in a collection. I then deployed my RS report to this location from Visual Studio.

From here, I created a linked report to two different Team Projects and set up unique report parameters for each (but still using the same base report).  I confirmed that each report returned data unique to its parameters.

I then made a change to the report and re-uploaded a newer version of the base report to the "SharedCollectionReports" folder and confirmed that the linked reports in both team projects reflected the changes.

So, this functionality does work as expected when accessed directly from the Report Server.

Linked Reports are NOT visible in Team Explorer.

However, when I opened up the Team Project in Visual Studio, the linked report does not show up:

Unfortunately, it sounds like this has been a known issue for a while, based on another thread I found:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/tfsreporting/thread/075b8d6c-e81d-4a9e-be27-72223283dae6

I'm really hoping this is being addressed for TFS 11...

• Marked as answer by Matt Ring Thursday, January 05, 2012 3:22 PM
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 3:22 PM

All replies

• One way is too update the proces template, upload it to the server and then reassign all team projects with the templates report using VisualStudio File.BatchNewTeamProject  command and a xml file as described in this post http://blogs.msdn.com/b/lakhminder/archive/2010/09/30/create-tfs-2010-reports-for-upgraded-team-projects.aspx.

Ive started to automate the procedure with customcode listing projects, and prepping the xml file between each call.

Thursday, December 22, 2011 8:07 PM
  • Hello Matt,

First, in my opinion actually your issue is not related to TFS. As the reporting service actually is organized in the folder mode, so the linked reports are not supported in the TFS.

In addition, as far as I know that you can deploy your report to target destination in the SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio. I think you’ better consult reporting service experts on the SQL Server Reporting Services for better support:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlreportingservices/threads

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Friday, December 23, 2011 9:01 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback.  I did a little more research on this issue and here is what I concluded:

Linked Reports do work when being viewed on the Reporting Server directly.

On the Report Server, I created a new folder under /TfsReports/DefaultCollection, called "SharedCollectionReports".  This is where I store my reports that are shared across all team projects in a collection. I then deployed my RS report to this location from Visual Studio.

From here, I created a linked report to two different Team Projects and set up unique report parameters for each (but still using the same base report).  I confirmed that each report returned data unique to its parameters.

I then made a change to the report and re-uploaded a newer version of the base report to the "SharedCollectionReports" folder and confirmed that the linked reports in both team projects reflected the changes.

So, this functionality does work as expected when accessed directly from the Report Server.

Linked Reports are NOT visible in Team Explorer.

However, when I opened up the Team Project in Visual Studio, the linked report does not show up:

Unfortunately, it sounds like this has been a known issue for a while, based on another thread I found:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/tfsreporting/thread/075b8d6c-e81d-4a9e-be27-72223283dae6

I'm really hoping this is being addressed for TFS 11...

• Marked as answer by Matt Ring Thursday, January 05, 2012 3:22 PM
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 3:22 PM
  • FYI... I posted a feature request on Microsoft' UserVoice site for this feature to be added. If anybody is interested in seeing this feature in a future version of TFS, please vote:

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/2579561-show-linked-rs-reports-in-team-explorer-view-

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 4:29 PM