none
What database to use with Visual Studio Community for MacOS and iOS applications? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

In the past I have used SQL Server (or SQL Express for stand alone applications) with Entity Framework, in a full Microsoft environment.

Now I would like to write MacOS and iOS stand alone applications with Visual Studio Community. I wonder what DBMS to use. Could you tell me what databases are available in both environments, and if I can use EF or not in iOS applications ?

Thank you,

Gilbert

Gilbert Tordeur

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 12:53 PM

Answers

• Any ODBC comliant database that would run under MacOS (for instance, PostgreSQL PostgreSQL: macOS packages + Npgsql - .NET Access to PostgreSQL

Also you can install SQL Server 2017 directly on to a Linux machine. And because macOS is Unix based (and Linux is Unix based), you can run SQL Server for Linux on your Mac. The way to do this is to run SQL Server on Docker. Reference blog: How to install SQL Server on a Mac 

Regards, 

Fletcher 

Note: this reply contains third-party link which does not belong to Microsoft does not guarantee the security of it. 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 5, 2018 6:34 AM

All replies

• Any ODBC comliant database that would run under MacOS (for instance, PostgreSQL PostgreSQL: macOS packages + Npgsql - .NET Access to PostgreSQL

Also you can install SQL Server 2017 directly on to a Linux machine. And because macOS is Unix based (and Linux is Unix based), you can run SQL Server for Linux on your Mac. The way to do this is to run SQL Server on Docker. Reference blog: How to install SQL Server on a Mac 

Regards, 

Fletcher 

Note: this reply contains third-party link which does not belong to Microsoft does not guarantee the security of it. 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 5, 2018 6:34 AM
  • You can also use SQLite, if you want a local embedded database, which is supported on both MacOS and iOS.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Friday, April 6, 2018 9:44 PM