Hi Guys, I have a tough one. I'm not sure if it can even be done, or if this is the proper place to post this question. I'm hoping that someone could give me a start in the right direction.
I am looking for a way to link an Excel Spreadsheet to Microsoft Visio. I am envisioning this as an add in developed for Visio.
To Summarize I would like to be able to list the steps of a process in Excel, and import the excel sheet into Visio. Finally I would like Visio to generate a flow chart based off of this imported data.
I have developed a more detailed flowchart as to how I think this should work as well as a sample Excel sheet. The files are in a zip file which I would be more than glad to send to anyone who may be able to shed some light on the subject.
I am willing to pay someone to help me with this if they think it can be done.
Importing and Linking Data from Excel into Visio
Note: In order to link and import data into Visio, you must be using Visio 2007 Professional Edition.
To Import an Excel File into Visio:
1. HelpàSample Diagrams
2. Single click the diagram format you want
3. Click Open Diagram on the right side of the window
4. HelpàSample Diagrams
5. DataàRefresh DataàConfigureàChange Data Source…
6. Select Microsoft Office Excel workbook and click Next >
7. Click Browse, double click the excel document that you want to import, and click Next >
8. Select the sheet of the workbook you want to import
9. Check First row of data contains column headings and click Next >
10. Select the columns and rows to include and click Next >
11. Click Finish
12. DataàRefresh Data…
13. Click the shape you want to link to step one
14. In the External Data Window, right click on step one and select Link to Selected Shapes
15. Repeat as needed until all steps are linked to a shapes
To Add Another Row in a Cross Functional Flow/Process Chart:
1. Click on the box which contains the name of the row
2. EditàCopy or Ctrl+C
3. EditàPaste or Ctrl+V
To Alter the Graphical Representations of the Columns of Each Step:
1. Click on a box (step) in the diagram
2. Right click and select Edit Data Graphic
3. Alter the Graphical Representations as desired
a. Add a new graphical representation by clicking New Item
b. Edit or learn more about a graphical item by clicking on the appropriate row and clicking Edit Item
c. Delete a graphical representation by clicking on appropriate row and clicking Delete