Coded UI Tests and the Windows 10 Anniversary Update RRS feed

• Question

• For automation testing of our universal app we have two CUIT projects (Windows and Windows Phone). Since the anniversary update we are not able to run tests on windows phones with the update. We are getting an error message: "Error: Failed to initialize client proxy: could not connect to test process ." Note that tests work fine on desktops (even with the anniversary update) and on windows phones without the anniversary update.

We updated OS to which phones are connected, we updated VS, we installed the latest SDK but still got the error. We tried the new empty CUIT projects but with the same result. Is there anything else we need to do to get our tests work again?

Thanks for any advice.

• Moved by Barry Wang Friday, September 2, 2016 8:00 AM Test tool related issue
    Thursday, August 18, 2016 11:46 AM

All replies

• Hi JurajIvanko,

I followed Use UI Automation To Test Your Code document that I can not reproduce your issue. It works in the emulator with Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

It will be better if you can share us a simple reproduced project, it will help us analyze and diagnose this issue more clearly.

Best Regards,

Jayden Gu

Saturday, August 20, 2016 7:58 AM
  • Hi Jayden Gu,

Thanks for your reply. We created a blank new universal TestApp and a simple CUIT project (Add New Project :: Coded UI Test Project(Universal Windows - Phone)). We are able to run our test in emulator (Mobile Emulator 10.0.14393.0 WVGA 4 inch 512 MB) but we are still not able to run the test on device with the anniversary update (e.g. Microsoft Lumia 550 with OS 10.0.14393.67)

In emulators, even if the test begins it fails as soon as it tries to use method like Gesture.Tap(). The exception is (Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Extension.PlaybackFailureException: Value does not fall within the expected range.) When we try some emulator without the anniversary update (e.g. Mobile Emulator 10.0.10586.0 WVGA 4 inch 512 MB) everything works as expected (as well as on device, e.g. Microsoft Lumia 950 with OS 10.0.10586.545).

It looks there are two problems here:

1. It is not possible to run CUIT test on device with the anniversary update
    2. There are unexpected exceptions when running CUIT test in emulator with the anniversary update

Here is link to our test solution you can try: TestApp solution

Thanks,

Juraj

• Edited by JurajIvanko Tuesday, August 23, 2016 6:23 AM
    Monday, August 22, 2016 11:07 AM
  • Hi JurajIvanko,

Your issue is related the Coded UI Tests and I know a better forum for it:" Test Tools in Visual Studio 2010 and 2012 ", let's move your case to there for better support.

Best Regards,

Jayden Gu

Monday, September 5, 2016 2:39 AM
  • Hi JurajIvanko,

Please run your VS as the admin, please also close all third party tools in your windows. Run the test again.

How about the result?

Not create the UWP CUIT project, how about a general coded UI test project under the "Test" project template?

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 6:16 AM
  • Hi Jack.

Neither running Visual Studio as admin nor a general CUIT project helps with this. Still the same results.

I installed the last Technical Preview (10.0.14915.1000) on Lumia 950 but still the same result.

I also tried Visual Studio 15 Preview 4 where there was only one template for CUIT project and there was different error message but still unable to run test on device (WP).

Thanks,

Juraj

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 10:41 AM
  • What is your windows 10 Environment? Is it the latest version?

Do you run the same test project in other VS215 machine? Do you run it using command line (vstest.console.exe) or VS IDE?

Just to make this issue clearly, not create a coded UI test project, if you just run your windows phone app using this Environment, does it work normally?

If you have no other VS2015 machine, please share me a simple sample using one drive, I will test it in my side.

Sincerely,

Jack 

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 12:13 PM
  • Hi Jack,

• Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.105)
    • Yes, we have this problem on multiple machines running Windows 10 with the anniversary update.
    • Yes, vstest.console.exe returns the same error as VS IDE.
    • Yes, we can deploy applications from this environment and they run normally.
    • Here is link to our test solution you can try: TestApp solution

Best Regards,

Juraj

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 1:20 PM
  • Hi Juraj,

>Since the anniversary update we are not able to run tests on windows phones with the update.

What is the anniversary update? It worked well before you install this update, am I right? Could you share me a screen shot about the real updates? I think you could get them in the update history or others.

I don't restart my machine, I could run the test works well after I start the Mobile Emulator 10.0.10586.0 WVGA 4 inch 512MB like this screen shot. So I think I have to know that the windows updates are, so I could re-test it again.

Best Regards,

Jack

Thursday, September 15, 2016 6:45 AM
  • Hi Jack,

You are right, without the anniversary update we are able to run our tests. In emulators without the update (like you used - 10.0.10586.0 WVGA 4 inch 512MB) we are able to run our tests as well. If you use some emulator with the anniversary update (such as Mobile Emulator 10.0.14393.0 WVGA 4 inch 512 MB) you should see the same problem as we do (the test from TestApp solution fails). If you use some mobile device (e.g. some Lumia) with the anniversary update you won't be able to run the test at all.

This all might be some combination of OS version, VS version, SDK version, OS version in emulator/connected phone. I just double checked with the latest updates and the results are the same as I reported.

Screenshot with my update history:

Thanks, Juraj.

Monday, September 19, 2016 5:56 AM
  • Hi Juraj,

Could you share me a simple sample using one drive? I will test it in my side.

For example, I just run a simple coded UI test to launch the UI, and then add the assertion method to the button, it works well in my side even if I use the latest Mobile Emulator 10.0.14393.0 WVGA 4 inch 512 MB.

XamlWindow.Launch("970b87d6-41b8-4cdc-86f6-5739112bf6dd_xpsm9mkp73bac!App");

UIMap.AssertMethod1();

This is my windows update:

Do you have other VS machine? Please test it in again, at least, we could know that whether it is related to your VS IDE or others. I use the VS2015 Enterprise version:

Best Regards,

Jack

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 9:21 AM
  • Hello Jack,

Thank you for your effort. Here is link to the TestApp solution.

I double-checked and the result is still the same (in device test does not run at all, in emulator there is some (for me) unexpected exception).

Emulator:

Device (Lumia 950):

Thursday, September 22, 2016 11:25 AM
  • Hi JurajIvanko,

Maybe I don't have the button click action:

Gesture.Tap(this.UIMap.UITestAppWindow.UIClickButton);

I got the same result as yours in my side.

But it really works well in Emulator 10586 version, I help you submitted a connect report here:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedbackdetail/view/3104189/coded-ui-tests-and-the-windows-10-anniversary-update

You could vote it, maybe we could get useful information from the product team experts.

Best Regards,

Jack

Friday, September 23, 2016 10:48 AM
  • Thanks Jack.
    Friday, September 23, 2016 1:02 PM