none
Installing Platform SDK February 2003 on Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have been using VS6.0 on Windows XP and we want to move to Windows 7. I found that the latest SDK which supports VS6.0 is Platform SDK February 2003 (we 've been using Platform SDK August 2001 on XP so far).

I'm trying to install it on a Windows 7 64bit machine. There are two setup files, Setup.exe and Setup64.exe.

Running Setup.exe gives the following error (although I wasn't expecting to get anything different since it's a Windows 64bit machine):

Running Setup64.exe gives me this error:

Is it even possible to install SDK February 2003 under Win 7?

Thanks in advance,

Polys

Thursday, March 8, 2012 11:52 AM

Answers

• Visual C++  6 cannot be installed on Windows 7 (at least you can't install VC6 SP6). As mentioned by others, you should use a virtual machine with XP if you want to continue to develop under VC6.
    • Proposed as answer by Helen Zhao Monday, March 12, 2012 3:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Helen Zhao Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:37 AM
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 4:29 PM

All replies

• Hello,

We have been using VS6.0 on Windows XP and we want to move to Windows 7. I found that the latest SDK which supports VS6.0 is Platform SDK February 2003 (we 've been using Platform SDK August 2001 on XP so far).

I'm trying to install it on a Windows 7 64bit machine.
    I always run VC6 in an XP virtual machine, and have had no problems installing either it or the Feb 2003 SDK.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 12:39 PM
  • the 64-bit installer was created for the ia64 platform rather than x64 (amd64)

So, just rename Setup64.exe to Setup64.exe.bad, copy setup.exe, and rename the copy to Setup64.exe.

Launch this new Setup64.exe...

Delphine GARRO

Thursday, March 8, 2012 12:40 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

I tried doing this but my cursor turns into the Windows 7 loading cursor and stays like that without anything happening.

Thursday, March 8, 2012 12:54 PM
  • This proposed solution has worked for me... I will search better solution for you ...

Delphine GARRO

Thursday, March 8, 2012 1:00 PM
  • Have you try to run the renamed setup64.exe file with XP compatibility ?

Delphine GARRO

Thursday, March 8, 2012 1:38 PM
  • Yes, I run it under XP SP3 compatibility mode
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 2:15 PM
  • Visual C++  6 cannot be installed on Windows 7 (at least you can't install VC6 SP6). As mentioned by others, you should use a virtual machine with XP if you want to continue to develop under VC6.
    • Proposed as answer by Helen Zhao Monday, March 12, 2012 3:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Helen Zhao Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:37 AM
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 4:29 PM
  • Hi Brian. I was able to install Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise. What I can't install is the Platform SDK August 2001 (which we have been using) or Platform SDK February 2003 (which I have found that it's the last SDK that supports VS6.0).

Using an XP Virtual Machine is really the last option.

• Edited by Polys Friday, March 9, 2012 11:10 AM
    Friday, March 9, 2012 11:09 AM
  • there are some threads about installing Microsoft Platform SDK February 2003 Edition on Windows 7.

how about creating a new folder in this path: c:\Program Files\Microsoft SDK\ ?

VC6 is not in the support scope now, it seems that many people have installed VS6+SDk under Vista. perhaps you can refer to the following two threads for more helpful information:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowssdk/thread/0e44853b-8602-4a8e-a1c1-d9912aa3ff00/

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowssdk/thread/ecb92812-2d1c-4cc8-b735-0d6febc54853

by the way, you should move to "Windows Desktop SDk Forum": http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowssdk/threads

GOOD LUCK!

Please mark this reply as answer if it helps you! Thanks for your cooperation! Good Luck to you.

Monday, March 12, 2012 3:31 AM
  • Hi Brian. I was able to install Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise. What I can't install is the Platform SDK August 2001 (which we have been using) or Platform SDK February 2003 (which I have found that it's the last SDK that supports VS6.0).

Using an XP Virtual Machine is really the last option.

Yes, I can install VS6 Enterprise as well (with complaints from the installer), but I can't install the Service Pack 6, which really is essental, since it fixed a lot of bugs that were present in the initial distributation. I strongly discourage you from using VC6 without the service pack. If you miraculously manage to install VC6 SP6, then let me know since I'd like to do the same.

Otherwise, use a virtual machine. I don't really see why you see it as a last option. Your first option should be to use a more modern compiler, frankly.

Monday, March 12, 2012 3:54 AM
  • Use the MSI files directly in the "setup" directory..... NOT the setup.exe or setup64.exe files....
    Saturday, February 8, 2014 1:54 PM
  • Use the MSI files directly in the "setup" directory..... NOT the setup.exe or setup64.exe files....

Thanks, that did it for me. I could install that way the Core SDK and  PSDK.
    By the way, I had the same problem with the loading Cursor when running the copied and renamed
    setup64.exe. The process setup64.exe was stoppping and starting endless until I killed it with taskkill.exe.
    I had no problem installing the SP6 for VC 6.0 previously.

My environment

Windows 7 Enterprise , 64 Bit edition

Thursday, September 17, 2015 2:36 PM