none
Visual Studio Professional 2017 15.2 offline installation needed because of trouble with 15.3.1

Question

• Hello, because of problems with Visual Studio Professional 2017 15.3.1 we need an offline installation of 15.2 to go back.
    Is it possible with this Technic: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/install/command-line-parameter-examples
    to get a 15.2 setup?

Thanks for the help,

Andreas

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 8:27 AM

All replies

• Hello, because of problems with Visual Studio Professional 2017 15.3.1 we need an offline installation of 15.2 to go back.
    Is it possible with this Technic: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/install/command-line-parameter-examples
    to get a 15.2 setup?

Thanks for the help,

Andreas

I found an option to download Visual Studio Professional 2017 15.0 here https://my.visualstudio.com/Downloads?q=Visual%20Studio%202017 but no 15.2

Andreas

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 11:37 AM
  • Hi Andreas,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

You are correct, currently only VS 15.0 and 15.3 are available on the download page.

I really understand how the VS 15.3.1 problems inconvenience brings to you, actually Microsoft Visual Studio team has already released an emergency repair and bug fix for the previous version, the VS 15.3.2 is just released on 8/22.

I have installed and tested the VS 15.3.2:

It works much smoothly,  please refer to

Visual Studio 2017 version 15.3 Release Notes to learn more about the Issues Fixed in August 22, 2017 Release. I suggest you could also update your VS installer to the latest version, it will optimize your program development experience.

If you still have any other question about using VS IDE, please feel free to contact us, we are willing to help you troubleshoot and analyze.

Thank you for your understanding :)

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 3:16 AM
  • Hi Lana,

good to hear about another update, BUT:

- In the release notes there is nowhere mentioned that the problems with the installer are fixed e,g,
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/98739/visual-studio-2017-professional-version-1531-insta.html
    Visual Studio 2017 Professional version 15.3.1 Installation fails on Windows 7 because of Win10SDK_10.0.15063.Desktop,version=10.0.15063.12 and Win10SDK_10.0.15063.UWP,version=10.0.15063.23

- We really need an option to install 15.2 as soon as possible, because our large code base does not compile with 15.3.x and we don't want to update to 15.3.x at the moment, because we have to port all projects to 15.3 and must do a lot of tests, and for this is no time at the moment So please tell me how to install a 15.2, or how I can update from 15.0 to 15.2.

For all users that also need also this option, please vote here:
    https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/31014391-provide-an-option-to-install-visual-studio-2017-15

Thank you very much,

Andreas

Friday, August 25, 2017 7:47 AM
  • Hi Andeas,

Thank you for your update.

I saw your feedback from community, and I know how the emergency about using VS 2015 15.2 to you, but I searched everywhere from https://my.visualstudio.com/Downloads?q=Visual Studio 2017 ,still no available. So I help you voted in the link you offered.

In addition, I have reported this request to our Microsoft senior product team engineer in internal way, please wait patiently till the 15.2 download link being offered via official website.

Currently, you may need to use the 15.0 version for a while.

Sorry about the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 25, 2017 8:33 AM
  • A week is over, are there any news about this problem?

Andreas

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 11:24 AM
  • Hi Andreas,

Currently, sorry about the 15.2 download link is not available via Microsoft download website yet, but the 15.3.3 is released for fixing the issues which exists on the previous version.

Would you mind update it to the 15.3.3 version, it would provide you a much smooth development experience. For the VS 15.2, once it can be downloaded,  I will inform you at the first time.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best REegards,

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, August 31, 2017 3:02 AM
  • Hello Lana,

updating to 15.3.3 is no option for us at the moment, because our code base does not compile and if we would update we would have to do a lot of manual tests for which we have no time at the moment.

Andreas

Thursday, August 31, 2017 9:22 AM
  • Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your update.

In this situation, except the situation, the only way is to wait patiently till the 15.2 version download link is released .

If it is emergency, please submit a technical support incident online. Microsoft Technical Support number ,Select MSDN/TechNet Subscription when asked to pick an option to open your support case, and then choose the Contract ID and Access ID you previously set up. If you have any issues with submitting an online incident, call your country’s submit a technical support incident online. Microsoft Technical Support number for assistance.

Thank you for your understanding,

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, August 31, 2017 9:53 AM
  • Hello,

I downloaded the vs_professional__1459734925.1492690668.exe a few days ago (~11.Oct.2017) and now (06.Nov.2017) from the same site the vs_professional__1459734925.1492690668.exe the file names are the same but the size and the content seems to be different - Can you tell me please how do I match numbers to the Visual Studio 2017 version numbers, e.g. 15.4.2, 15.4.1, 15.4.0?

The details page of the exe show the product version
    and the other
    I also downloaded a vs_professional.exe from the Micorsoft site that contain the product version 

I need to build offline installers for 15.0, 15.2, 15.3 and 15.4 because we need them later for an Escrow audit to build our products.

Thanks for the help,
    Andreas.

Andreas

Monday, November 6, 2017 1:48 PM
  • Hi Andread Schniertshaurer,

I'm afraid you have some misunderstanding. See this picture.

On 11. Oct. 2017, it was 243163219.1507715945.  And now (7. Nov. 2017) it is the same. (UTC+9:00, Japan)
    (I deleted older version of VS 2017 installer.)
    Please check it again.

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Monday, November 6, 2017 11:10 PM
  • Hi Ashidacchi,

today (07. Nov 2017) I went to the site: 
    https://www.visualstudio.com/thank-you-downloading-visual-studio/?sku=Professional&rel=15

and I got vs_professional__1459734925.1492690668.exe (see bottom of screenshot)

The details page of the executable shows version number 15.4.27004.2006

Andreas

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 8:25 AM
  • Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

>>I downloaded the vs_professional__1459734925.1492690668.exe a few days ago (~11.Oct.2017) and now (06.Nov.2017) from the same site the vs_professional__1459734925.1492690668.exe

The number "1459734925.1492690668" doesn't have relationship with visual studio version, It has different numbers in different computer when download the same version of visual studio. you can have a look at the screenshot which is from 3 computers:

To confirm the version of the installer, please check the property for it. You can have a look at Visual Studio 2017 version 15.4 Release Notes.

Best regards,

Joyce

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 8:31 AM
  • Can you tell me the link from where you are downloading please.

And how do I match the installer executable product version number to the Visual Studio 2017 Prof. version number, e.g. I want to build an offline installer for Visual Studio 2017 Prof. 15.4.0 and another for 15.4.1 how do I match 15.4.0 + 15.4.1 to the vs_professional_######.exe?

Thanks for the help,

Andreas.

Andreas

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 8:32 AM
  • Hi Andreas,

I've just visited URL you provided, and tried... but what I could get wasvs_professional__243163219.1507715945.exe.
    I guess download site you visited is Germany site. I live in Japan and use Japanese version browser (Google Chrome and MS Edge). I must have been redirected to US(English site) or JP site.

There must exist many mirror sites for downloading and some difference exists between sites (like fast ring and slow ring in Windows 10).

Regards, 

Ashidacchi

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 8:43 AM
  • Hi, 
    It's 
    https://www.visualstudio.com/thank-you-downloading-visual-studio/?sku=Professional&rel=15
    (I did copy&paste of URL you provided.)

Thank you.

Ashidacchi

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 8:53 AM
  • Hi Andreas,

The download link is: https://www.visualstudio.com/

Joyce is to the point, you need to check installer .exe Properties>Details>File version to learn about installer version.

>> I want to build an offline installer for Visual Studio 2017 Prof

You can distinguish different offline installers by renaming them, for example, when completing 15.4.2 Professional download, please direct directly rename it similarly like : VS 2015 Pro 15.5.2 , it will easily help you classify.

@Ashidacchi

It's not about the downloading area, Joyce and I both using Singapore network, but the installer numbers are also different, they are random,  please see mine:

Which is also seen clearly, different version got the same number between Professional, Community and Enterprise.

Generally speaking, the installer number doesn't make any sense about the version. you need to back-up or rename the layout installer name manually to classify more VS details. 

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 8:59 AM
  • @Lana Xu, Joice Yin,

Thank you for information. I can understand it.

But MS's naming is very confusing as Andreas mentioned in the first post.
    I hope they will name it according its product version.
    Regards,

Ashidacchi

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 10:22 AM
  • Thanks for the info about the meaningless number appended to vs_professional__.exe

It would be very very helpful for me and I think for others too to append the correct Visual Studio version number automatically to the vs_professional__.exe e.g vs_professional_15.4.2.exe instead of meaningless random numbers.

The question is now how do I match the version of the installer to the Visual Studio version?

15.4.27004.2002 to Visual Studio 2017 Prof. 15.4.x

15.4.27004.2006 to Visual Studio 2017 Prof. 15.4.y

From the provided link to the release notes I can't find the numbers 15.4.27004.2002 / 15.4.27004.2006

For the Escrow audit I need the exact Visual Studio Version with the correct packages that are going to be installed because these versions and packages are mentioned in the documents.

Another question is where can I download all these installers,

I need installers (to be able to build offline installations for Escrow audits) for:
    Visual Studio 2017 Prof. 15.0,
    Visual Studio 2017 Prof. 15.2, (this is VERY VERY important for us, and I can't find it anywhere anymore)
    Visual Studio 2017 Prof. 15.3.0, (Important)
    Visual Studio 2017 Prof. 15.3.5,

Thanks for the help,
    Andreas.

Andreas

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 12:06 PM
  • Hello Lana,

you wrote:
    for example, when completing 15.4.2 Professional download, please direct directly rename it similarly like : 
    VS 2015 Pro 15.5.2 , it will easily help you classify.

This will may help me in the future but not for the past. I need to be able to build an offline installer for 15.0, 15.2 (VERY VERY important for us) and 15.3.0 (Important). So I need to be able to download these installers.

So could you please supply a link where I can get all of these different installers or add a command line parameter to the installer to be able to build the different Visual Studio offline installers.

In the past I could download the different ISO's for the different Visual Studio versions and now we need to be able to an offline installation for the different Visual Studio versions.

Thanks for your help,
    Andreas.

Andreas

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 12:20 PM
  • Hi Andreas,

Based on Visual Studio Professional 2017 15.2 offline installation needed because of trouble with 15.3.1, I know how important those different old VS 2017 to you.

However, as is seen in Microsoft official download page: https://my.visualstudio.com/Downloads?q=visual%20studio%202015&wt.mc_id=o~msft~vscom~older-downloads , only 15.0 and 15.4 are available, the other ones are not existed. Sorry for the inconvenience it brings to you.

As I suggested in another post of you, if this is emergency for you, please open a support ticket, it will help you get much quick help as soon as possible.

Thank you for your understanding :)

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 6:48 AM
  • And 15.3.5 is also available from here:
    https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/productinfo/installing-an-earlier-release-of-vs2017

15.0, 15.4.2 and 15.3.5 I downloaded already and also 15.4.27004.2005 and 15.4.27004.2002 (I don't know the exact VS version number for these two)

Andreas

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 10:43 AM
  • Yes, this it what I mean, thanks for clarifying it.

In the meanwhile I did some reverse engineering of the vs_Professional.exe files lie around from various downloads.

I found in the vs_setup_bootstrapper.config files from the productSemanticVersion that:

27004.2008 is 15.4.3

27004.2006 is 15.4.2
    27004.2005 is 15.4.1
    27004.2002 is 15.4.0

26430.16 is 15.1.0
    26228.13 is 15.00.0

The vs_setup_bootstrapper.config files contain also a DownloadUrl and pointing to https://aka.ms/vs/15/release/installer and that seems to be in all cases the current 15.4.2 release so using any of the vs_Professional_x.y.z.exe I always get the 15.4.2,
    except:
    1) vs_Professional_15.3.5.exe that I downloaded from here: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/productinfo/installing-an-earlier-release-of-vs2017
    here the DownloadUrl points to https://aka.ms/vs/15/release/669166430/installer
    and when installing I get 15.3.5.
    2) vs_Professional_15.00.0+26228.13, here the DownloadUrl points to https://aka.ms/vs/15/release/b3427aecb/installer
    and when installing I get 15.0.0+26228.13
    3) vs_professional_2017_15.00.0+26228.16, here the DownloadUrl points to https://aka.ms/vs/15/release/42504f7df/installer

So the answer of Lana Xu is partly correct, because only 15.0 (...13), 15.0 (...16), 15.3.5 and 15.4.x (x == current) are available. It would be nice if the guys from MS would tell use the other DownloadUrl's so we could build the needed versions.

Andreas

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 2:37 PM
  • Hi Andreas,

Actually the latest version would be the 15.4.3 now.

>>It would be nice if the guys from MS would tell use the other DownloadUrl's so we could build the needed versions.

Really appreciate your feedback.

(1)Actually we also submitted a feature request to the product team:https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/31014391-provide-an-option-to-install-visual-studio-2017-15

(2)You could also send a feedback to the product team through the Help->Send Feedback in your VS IDE. It would create a case in the developer community site: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/spaces/8/index.html

You could get information from the developer community site.

I also provide my understanding why no all versions' setup packages from the official sites:

It was similar to the old VS2015 version which has the update 1-update 5, some old update packages also were removed from the official site.

This document shared the feedbacks which has been fixed from the old version to the latest one.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/releasenotes/vs2017-relnotes

Generally Microsoft official site would move some old versions which have some feedbacks, and release the newer version which resolved those feedbacks. Not very sure that why you really want to get the old versions. But if it has too many different download sites for different versions, maybe it is not convenient for some developers/testers, because they will get some feedbacks again during developing/Testing. They need to re-update the VS one by one or others. So officiate sites also think about these issues or others, that's the reason why some old versions has been moved/deleted. Really appreciate you for supporting our work. Actually we just supports the VS IDE Setup issue through the forum support, for VS setup packages download site issue from the official site, we also have no other direct better suggestions/solutions except the above suggestions.

Of course, if you get any setup issue during you install/use the VS, please feel to post the issues in this forum, my team engineers would provide you help in time:)

Thank you for your support and co-operation.

Sincerely,

Jack

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, November 9, 2017 8:16 AM
  • Hello,

I created an offline layout with vs_professional_2017_15.00.0+26228.13_release_b3427aecb.exe
    the vs_boostrapper of this exe contains the DownloadUrl=https://aka.ms/vs/15/release/b3427aecb/installer
    but the created "Response.json" file in the layout folder is channelUri":"https://aka.ms/vs/15/release/channel
    Is this correct or must the channelUri point to b3427aecb?

Thanks for the help,

Andreas

Thursday, November 9, 2017 11:11 AM
  • Hi Andreas,

As our previous discussions, I think you also get the latest information about this issue, it really has no certain versions, and we also provide the possible directory for you to report feedback to the product team.

Would you mind closing this case? If possible, you could mark helpful reply as the answer, so we could close this case for you, of course, if we get any latest information from the feedback site, we also update it here.

Sincerely,

Jack

MSDN Community Support

Monday, November 27, 2017 7:23 AM