none
“The queue does not exist or you do not have sufficient permissions to perform the operation” exception thrown in a MSMQ app on Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows-based application that runs perfectly fine on a Windows 7 workstation. This application makes use of local public MSMQ queues to communicate with a server int he same domain. My client wants to replace some of those old workstations and it has purchased some newer Windows 10 machines. The problem now is that the application is throwing some exceptions when trying to make use of the public local MSMQ queue. The exception is of type MessageQueueException and its message is:

"The queue does not exist or you do not have sufficient permissions to perform the operation".

The queue does exist, as it can be seen in the Computer Management screen. The IT department of our client has given full permissions to the queue for the User Group that the account under which the application is running belongs to. I have asked them to compare the settings of the public local MSMQ queue with those of the same queue on the working old Win 7 workstation and they have identical settings.

What may be the cause of this issue? We preserved the application's configuration file. Therefore, the names used by the public queues are the same in both environments. This is how they are specified in the configuration file:

"FormatName:DIRECT=TCP:XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX\my_queue_name"

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks, Ed

Friday, December 6, 2019 4:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, only the private queue is available for developing users. 

According to the error details, please click the private queue check If it exists in the private queues. 

Computer Management -> Services and Applications -> Message Queuing -> Private Queues

Besides, provided that a smooth network (firewall issue), we need to add the corresponding users to the queue. If the account is domain users, we had better add the Active Directory user or group to the queue. 

https://i.stack.imgur.com/JcgxE.png

Feel free to let me know if there is anything I can help with.

Best Regards

Abraham

Monday, December 9, 2019 6:54 AM
  • Hi Abraham,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Has this access changed between Windows 7 and Windows 10? As I described above, out implementation worked fine for many years and still does while used on Windows 7 workstations.

Monday, December 9, 2019 2:33 PM
  • Hi,

As far as I know, there is no difference between these OS versions. 
    I think the issue mostly due to permissions. Try to check the network issue and window credentials.
    For example, whether the current account logged in the Win10 OS is the same as the account in Win7, is the Win10 machine has joined the Domain?

Best Regards
    Abraham

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 6:31 AM