none
vsto add-in not in add/remove programs RRS feed

• Question

• We have a user running XP that has a VSTO add-in deployed. However, it is not present in add/remove programs and I need to uninstall it and do a full reinstall. How do you manually uninstall a VSTO application?
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 9:02 PM

Answers

• Hi there,

if you installed the addin using the ClickOnce, you can unistall addins using "VSTOInstaller.exe /uninstall [.vsto file path]":

the easiest way to do it is to get this right is to find the "UninstallString" of the installed addin in the registry. so loop through all entries under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" to find the addin. then just run the "UninstallString" in an elevated command prompt.

if you installed it using MSI, you need to use the "msiexec.exe /uninstall [addin.msi | product code]".

note that the addin.msi should be the msi that the addin got installed with. or you can find the product code of the addin (can find it in the msi if you open it with Orca.exe)

let me know if you have any question.

Hamed

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 11:36 PM
  • Hi,

I've seen this problem, but don't know why it happens. I think they have some kind of caching problem with the add-ins and ClickOnce. It's not a PowerPoint add-in, is it? (I've seen it repeatedly with PPT).

So let me guess -- it doesn't show up in add/remove programs, but it won't let you install it either? It says it's still installed?

If the VSTOInstaller idea from Hamed doesn't work...

Does it show up in the Office application if you look in the Trust Center? Can you remove it there?

If not, you're going to have to try deleting the folders from the ClickOnce cache. If it's the only ClickOnce app installed, you can do this by deleting the \Apps\2.0 folder under the user's cache. If it's not the only ClickOnce app installed, you're going to need to figure out which folders belong to the add-in by looking in them and deleting the specific folders. (There should be two, one called xxxx...vsto... and one called xxxx...dll... where xxxx is probably the first four characters of your add-in's assembly name).

In Windows XP, the cache is in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Apps\2.0\obfuscatedfolder\obfuscatedfolder.

If you have to delete folders from the cache (or the entire cache), try rebooting before you try to install again. (Again, this happened to me with PPT).

Hope this helps.

RobinDotNet

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 5:39 AM

All replies

• Hi there,

if you installed the addin using the ClickOnce, you can unistall addins using "VSTOInstaller.exe /uninstall [.vsto file path]":

the easiest way to do it is to get this right is to find the "UninstallString" of the installed addin in the registry. so loop through all entries under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" to find the addin. then just run the "UninstallString" in an elevated command prompt.

if you installed it using MSI, you need to use the "msiexec.exe /uninstall [addin.msi | product code]".

note that the addin.msi should be the msi that the addin got installed with. or you can find the product code of the addin (can find it in the msi if you open it with Orca.exe)

let me know if you have any question.

Hamed

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 11:36 PM
  • Hi,

I've seen this problem, but don't know why it happens. I think they have some kind of caching problem with the add-ins and ClickOnce. It's not a PowerPoint add-in, is it? (I've seen it repeatedly with PPT).

So let me guess -- it doesn't show up in add/remove programs, but it won't let you install it either? It says it's still installed?

If the VSTOInstaller idea from Hamed doesn't work...

Does it show up in the Office application if you look in the Trust Center? Can you remove it there?

If not, you're going to have to try deleting the folders from the ClickOnce cache. If it's the only ClickOnce app installed, you can do this by deleting the \Apps\2.0 folder under the user's cache. If it's not the only ClickOnce app installed, you're going to need to figure out which folders belong to the add-in by looking in them and deleting the specific folders. (There should be two, one called xxxx...vsto... and one called xxxx...dll... where xxxx is probably the first four characters of your add-in's assembly name).

In Windows XP, the cache is in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Apps\2.0\obfuscatedfolder\obfuscatedfolder.

If you have to delete folders from the cache (or the entire cache), try rebooting before you try to install again. (Again, this happened to me with PPT).

Hope this helps.

RobinDotNet

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 5:39 AM
  • We can try to delete it directly from registry alos.
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 10:59 PM
  • Jay, any update with the issue? Do the above comment on uninstalling resolve the issue? (I can uninstall by following Hamed's comment in my test). If you need more help, please just update.

Have a nice day!

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 7:39 AM
  • Thanks for this post, it saved my day!

It is useful to know about the UninstallString.
    I put a note in my project to remember that when it strikes again.

From time to time  compile - debug - publish - install - uninstall  turn mad.
    Till I read your post, I could lose hours till it was fixed without knowing why.
    Sometimes, I remember well, I recreated the whole project from scratch and needed to adapt the _Assemblyxxx  custom properties of my production workbooks.

This mess occurs since at least VS2010.
    I cannot figure our why this is not cleaned up.
    Obviously too much sophistication turn into an evil. 

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 7:50 AM
  • Another possible cause of this is that a registry entry was left over in HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\VSTA\Solutions. I found an entry like this while trying to figure this out myself:

HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\VSTA\Solutions\84f55226-c7e9-41dc-9d0b-60249649a8fa
      Url="file:///path/to/<product name>.vsto"
      SubscriptionID="<product name>.vsto, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=199cd174aff2757f, processorArchitecture=msil"
      ApplicationID="file:///path/to/<product name>.vsto#<product name>.vsto, Version=1.0.0.402, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=199cd174aff2757f, processorArchitecture=msil/<product name>.dll, Version=1.0.0.402, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=199cd174aff2757f, processorArchitecture=msil, type=win32"
      ProductName="<product name>"
      LastCheckedTime=byte[] { 123, 126, 87, 147, 248, 183, 212, 72, }
      UpdateEnabled=1
      UpdateInterval=1
      UpdateIntervalUnits="days"

I suspect this may have to do with using multiple computers on a regular basis.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 12:37 PM