none
Microsoft Test Manager 2010 - Automation Status on Manual Test Cases

Question

• I have a question on customizing the Values that appear in the Automation Status drop down box when viewing a Manual test case in design view of Test Manager 2010

Is it possible to add more values in this drop down box to cater for individual needs?

Thursday, May 31, 2012 12:18 PM

Answers

• Hi James,

Thank you for your post.

Seems you want add new values to Automation Status field. You need to edit Automation Status field of Test Case work item type. BUT, note use witadmin importwitd to import the WIT to server, do not use process editor, otherwise you cannot save the changes. Steps are:
    1. Export Test Case WIT.

2. Edit the XML file to add a value in Automation statue field. "aaa" value is the test value i add.
    <FIELD name="Automation status" refname="Microsoft.VSTS.TCM.AutomationStatus" type="String" reportable="dimension">
            <WHEN field="Microsoft.VSTS.TCM.AutomatedTestId" value="">
              <ALLOWEDVALUES expanditems="true">
                <LISTITEM value="Not Automated" />
                <LISTITEM value="Planned" />
                <LISTITEM value="aaa" />
              </ALLOWEDVALUES>
            </WHEN>
            <WHENNOT field="Microsoft.VSTS.TCM.AutomatedTestId" value="">
                <LISTITEM value="Automated" />
              </ALLOWEDVALUES>
              <COPY from="value" value="Automated" />
            </WHENNOT>
          </FIELD>

3. Import the XML file to server through witadmin importwitd command.

Best regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, June 01, 2012 6:56 AM

All replies

• Hi, you can customize the work item templates. take a look at http://tedgustaf.com/en/blog/2011/1/how-to-customize-tfs-2010-work-items-and-workflows/

Thanks,

Anuj

http://www.anujchaudhary.com

Friday, June 01, 2012 4:48 AM
  • Hi James,

Thank you for your post.

Seems you want add new values to Automation Status field. You need to edit Automation Status field of Test Case work item type. BUT, note use witadmin importwitd to import the WIT to server, do not use process editor, otherwise you cannot save the changes. Steps are:
    1. Export Test Case WIT.

2. Edit the XML file to add a value in Automation statue field. "aaa" value is the test value i add.
    <FIELD name="Automation status" refname="Microsoft.VSTS.TCM.AutomationStatus" type="String" reportable="dimension">
            <WHEN field="Microsoft.VSTS.TCM.AutomatedTestId" value="">
                <LISTITEM value="Not Automated" />
                <LISTITEM value="Planned" />
                <LISTITEM value="aaa" />
              </ALLOWEDVALUES>
            </WHEN>
            <WHENNOT field="Microsoft.VSTS.TCM.AutomatedTestId" value="">
                <LISTITEM value="Automated" />
              </ALLOWEDVALUES>
              <COPY from="value" value="Automated" />
            </WHENNOT>
          </FIELD>

3. Import the XML file to server through witadmin importwitd command.

Best regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]

Friday, June 01, 2012 6:56 AM
  • This process worked, we managed to Export the data and edit the XML file. Now we have an issue with permissions. I have been given all permissions from our team, yet we are struggling with permission access.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 10:21 AM
  • Hi James,

To import work item types, you must be a member of the Team Foundation Administrators security group or the Project Administrators security group. Please check current account have enough permission.

Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 3:38 AM
  • Lily_wu:    Please expound on your statement ". . .  do not use process editor, otherwise you cannot save the changes".  I did use the "power tool" Process Editor, and my resulting .XML tool looked like your code above.  When I attempted to import the new Test Case.xml file, an error containing text "Error importing work item type definition:  The required attribute 'value' is missing." was displayed.  Is this the behavior that triggered your statement about "cannot save the changes"?

I'm worried as to why Process Editor displays and error and the command line equivalent (supposedly) does not.  Is Process Editor broke, or is catching an error condition that the command line is letting slip by?

• Edited by Dan Gawarecki Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:11 PM Address the person's who post I'm concerned about
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 5:13 PM