Want to remove Add Solution To Source Control Menu RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are developing a custom project type using MPF. We required customizing the menus/context menus and are able to disable/delete most of them either using CustomFileNode.cs or CustomProjectNode.cs, using querystatus. But i am not able to customize the menus/context menus related to Source Control. Context menu for project/solution as well as File-->Source Control menu are available by default.

For reference, i tried in isolated shell and was able to do it using .pkgundef filr but no luck with the VSpackage we created.

Thanks in Advance

Chinmaya

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 11:40 AM

Answers

• Hi Chinmaya,

You cannot undefine a package in the integrated shell. You would essentially be removing functionality (Visual Studio users) expect and often rely upon.

I'm curious as to why you would want to disable this functionality. Visual Studio users have a reasonable expectation that their source code control support, would remain the same, regardless of the 3rd party packages they might install.

You mention you have a custom project type. Why would you require disabling of SCC support for a solution, that could potentially contain additional project types?

Generally speaking I would not recommend implementing such a feature, as you would essentially be breaking SCC functionality that VS customers expect in their integrated shell.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

• Marked as answer by Anna Cc Monday, April 14, 2014 1:33 AM
    Wednesday, April 2, 2014 5:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Chinmaya,

Thank you for posting here!

I'm sorry that I can not find a menu named "Add Solution To Source Control Menu".

>>But i am not able to customize the menus/context menus related to Source Control.

I guess you may need this document "ContextMenuStrip.SourceControl Property ".

What's more, please refer to:

Determine what control the ContextMenuStrip was used on

Best regards,

Sunny

Thursday, March 20, 2014 3:53 AM
  • Thanks Sunny,

What i am looking for is Project--> Right Click----> "Add Solution to Source Control".

Thanks,

Chinmaya

Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:30 AM
  • Hi Chinmaya,

Thank you for your details! Sorry for delay.

I have found the menu you mentioned.

>>For reference, i tried in isolated shell and was able to do it using .pkgundef filr but no luck with the VSpackage we created.

Has the problem been solved? If no, have you tried debug your VSpackage?

Best regards,

Sunny

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 8:18 AM
  • Hi,

I did not find the solution as of now. What i meant was , through .pkgundef file, it is possible to remove the menu, but .pkgundef does not exist in VSPackage. It only exists incase of Visual Studio isolated shell.

I tried to debug, but as this is a menu command and gets generated when package is loaded, so no luck in finding any clue.

Thanks,

Chinmaya

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 10:16 AM
  • Hi Chinmaya,

You cannot undefine a package in the integrated shell. You would essentially be removing functionality (Visual Studio users) expect and often rely upon.

I'm curious as to why you would want to disable this functionality. Visual Studio users have a reasonable expectation that their source code control support, would remain the same, regardless of the 3rd party packages they might install.

You mention you have a custom project type. Why would you require disabling of SCC support for a solution, that could potentially contain additional project types?

Generally speaking I would not recommend implementing such a feature, as you would essentially be breaking SCC functionality that VS customers expect in their integrated shell.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

• Marked as answer by Anna Cc Monday, April 14, 2014 1:33 AM
    Wednesday, April 2, 2014 5:15 PM