Using F#? An open invitation to get in touch and let us know how.

General discussion

• Over the years at the F# team we've managed to keep in touch with many of F# users, including individuals, universities and corporations. This is one of the things that makes the work really interesting.

The F# community is growing steadily, and this is becoming harder. However, it's still very useful for us to know who is using F# and for what sort of things: in particular it helps us plan our future development of the language and its tools.

As a result, I want to make a standing invitation to F# users to get in touch, either with myself directly (dsyme@microsoft.com), or via the fsbugs@microsoft.com alias, and let us know how you're using F#. Give as many or few details as you like - if you're just using it for a hobby, that's fine, we still love to hear from you. If you're using it at work, it would be great if you could let us know your domain of work (e.g. finance, simulation, CAD etc.) and the sort of problems you're tackling. If you have comments on the language, tooling or what is most important to cover in a next release, please feel free to include those.

This is a standing invite - please feel free to drop us a line anytime, or to update us on how your use of F# is evolving.

Cheers!

Don

Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:11 PM

All replies

• Can we also use this forum to share? Some of us are doing public F# work and we are also interested in what other people are doing with the language.

At IntelliFactory we do development exclusively in F#. I have been primarily involved with WebSharper, our F#-to-JavaScript compiler and platform. The ML legacy, in particular union types, make F# a great match for writing compilers.

[Edit: how would you spend $100 on F# improvements moved to a seprate thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fsharpgeneral/thread/c25b0def-cf6d-4c69-a4ea-fff80e131969]

Anton

Friday, July 01, 2011 2:11 PM
  •      Can we also use this forum to share? Some of us are doing public F# work and we are also interested in what other people are doing with the language.

Yes, absolutely, sharing information here is great!

We should probably discuss the "where would you spend $100" on a different thread, it's a great question

don

Friday, July 01, 2011 2:51 PM
  • At Prover Technology we have used F# in two ways. It was first introduced by a colleague as a safer and faster alternative to Python.

It was then also used inside an existing product developed in C#. There wasn't really any rationale beside my own enthusiasm for the language, but in retrospect it turned out to be the right choice. Key features were discriminated unions and pattern matching, generics and type inference.

A third person in the company has since then used it in parsing to consume and manipulate abstract syntax trees generated by Antlr. Active patterns played a key role in mapping the untyped AST from Antlr to a typed AST in F#.

Saturday, July 02, 2011 7:31 AM
  • I'm the lead engineer-architect of M-Brace and my main job is to make F# the queen language for cloud programming.

I've been coding in F# for 4 years now and I'm really glad to see F# as a fully supported language in VS and finally it is time for a ML descendant to become mainstream.

I wouldn't like to close with a complaint, but my biggest missing feature is the ML Module System.

Nick 

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 7:26 PM
  • I have been using F# for 2+ years now, and am absolutely loving it. Having previously developed in C#, the initial switch was mind bending but well worth it. My usage of F# has mostly been in the integration space but I believe that F# is good for nearly all kinds of development, limited for some perhaps by a lack of tooling in Visual Studio.

I am very much looking forward to F# 3.0 which will make data consumption easier and really hoping to be surprised and discover higher type support too. 

I am excited by the ongoing work in the F# space, Tomas' snippets site for example and others where people are sharing some of the great work they've done. Resources like these have helped me to embrace the functional approach more fully, and will help others too.

My biggest gripe is that in South Africa adoption of F# appears to be very slow, this doesn't seem to be true of Europe, I see quite a few career opportunities for F# developers there.

Keep up the good work Don and everyone else in the F# community!

Huw Simpson

Friday, July 08, 2011 11:01 AM
  • I have been primarily involved with WebSharper, our F#-to-JavaScript compiler and platform.

I'm glad someone is working on a way to make JavaScript more tractible.   In my oppinion, JavaScript is just about the worst language I have ever used.  I would rather program in assembly than JavaScript...  Instead of JavaScript, I think all internet browsers should be required to have a limited version of Silverlight installed which would then be used to perform the DOM manipulation and ClientSide richness that JavaScript (***cough***) is currently doing.   Then with Silverlight, we could all write our source in F# which would "I guess" be compiled and run against the Silverlight engine.   That would be so much better than JavaScript.

I briefly glaced over Petricek's thesis and found it interesting but, unfortunately, wound up flying my brain off onto other things before I finished.   I am so glad someone is trying to do something to "fix" that nasty low-level language so many people seemly to affectionately call JavaScript.

In contrast, F# is one of the BEST languages I have ever seen.   My two favorite langues are F# and C++ because C++ allows total control when it comes to const-correctness.

Sunday, July 10, 2011 5:33 AM
  • I really don't know how long I follow the F#-wave but I used it for some years now.

As a fully-supported .net languague I try to use it everywhere I see a chance and an opportunity to do so. Sadly the nasty project-system and almost not-existing tooling-support (C# and Resharper - will beat F# in time-to-programm even if the resulting code is much bigger) is preventing me from doing it more often.

There are some minor issues (build a framework/lib for usage in other C#-projects and can't implement good OO-design with abstract baseclasses because there is no "protected", interfaces in F# will end up beeing explicit, generic-parameters cannot be constrained with one-another, ...) but overall I really like the language.

Now if you would only give us higher-order generics or real type-classes ... :D

Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:54 AM
  • As a result, I want to make a standing invitation to F# users to get in touch, either with myself directly (dsyme@microsoft.com), or via the fsbugs@microsoft.com alias, and let us know how you're using F#. Give as many or few details as you like

Hi!

We were planning to use F# as it came out but our big blocking point is the lack of those nifty new COM interop enhancements build into the current c# compiler.

We are almost exclusively doing extensions for a CAD system and that interfaces via COM.

The little non-COM side jobs we could be doing in F# wouldn't be worth introducing a new language for.

Are there any news on the COM front?

Lots of Greetings!

Volker
    Monday, August 29, 2011 2:50 PM
  • I am using F# to write a port of the popular Processing library to .net. I am using wpf and the writeable bitmaps to create an extremely fast and versatile rendering library for any .net language. You can see more about it and even contribute if anybody is so inclined, at http://processingfs.codeplex.com Hope you like it!
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 5:01 AM
  • Hi,

I believe it is possible to create a type provider for F# 3.0 that uses the COM type information stored in a .tlb file to provide strongly typed access to a COM type. As far as I am aware this has not been done yes but conceptually it should work.

Would be a fun to try.

Regards,

Huw

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 9:27 AM
  • I'm brand new to F#.

I come from php/mysql. I'm not that knowledgeable of php either. I never learned object oriented php stuff. I always stuck with the easy stuff.

F# seems to be much easier to understand that C#... although it isn't as easy to use for web apps as php from what I've seen.

With php you can load up a webpage as .php and start using php right along side with html and javascript all on the same page.

I'd like to able to do this with f#. Maybe there is a way and I'm just overlooking it?

Friday, February 24, 2012 9:26 PM
  • I've been a hobbyist programmer for the last 3 years, starting with the Web (HTML, CSS, JavaScript, ASP.NET) and eventually coming to application development, mainly in C#. (BTW, I never programmed in C or BASIC or Fortran, or any older language)

Over the years, C# has become more and more functional, and I noticed that it made everything easier and clearer. As such, I decided to learn a functional language; and as I used (and still use) Windows and all of Microsft technologies, I got used to .NET Framework. I tried Haskell as well, however, I got confused, and eventually discovered F#. It seemed really interesting, so, it was the language I chose.

It combined what I already knew with a whole new endless universe of options. It was hard in the beginning to change my imperative way of thinking, but the Web, and, above all, the book I bought: Real-World Functional Programming (with examples in C# and F#); really helped me, it's very direct and practical, and completly easy to understand, I recommend it to everyone learning F# that knows the imperative way of programming and the .NET platform. If you know C#, this book is just perfect.

C# and F# should be used together, they're both multy-paradigmed, and in some ways similar, although they focus different programming paradigms and have a completly different syntax.

F# Interactive is something amazing, I had never seen REPL until knowing more about functional languages. So powerful...

In a nutshell, F# is an amazing language in rapid expansion, and everyone should be a part of this expansion. I can proudly say that I love F# :)

"Penso, logo existo" - René Descartes
    "A produção de muitas coisas úteis resulta em muitas pessoas inúteis" - Karl Marx
    "Vive como se fosses morrer amanhã, aprende como se fosses viver para sempre" - Mahatma Gandhi

João Miguel

Thursday, December 13, 2012 8:33 PM
  • I'm a C# developer and just started to learn F#. I'm particularly interested in using it for dealing with big data.

Ioana

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:40 PM
  • which version of F# able to replace c# in future?

will category theory library be available for F# in future? if not, any commercial version?

Early Bird

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:20 AM
  • Having been answering questions here long enough, but haven't posted in this thread.

While I don't get to use F# in the day job (that's C# with a little bit of C and C++), it's my default language for any side project at home, and has been for about the past 5 years.  Not only does that help keep the two code pools distinct, F# has the advantage of its very succinct syntax, and the general reliability that an immutable/functional coding style provides, so that I can get more productive coding done in the odd hour that I get to devote to side projects than I would in languages like C++ or C# -- the value per keystroke is that much better.

Sunday, June 29, 2014 5:27 PM
  • Hope Babel2 can be part of F# for language construction and evolution or create new speaking language or programming language or chemical language or other kind of language

and

Hope type expression can have append function

type expr =

| Plus(a,b)

| Minus(a,b)

computing nightmare

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 3:25 AM
  • I've written a commercial application in F#. It's a tool to simplify Internet search (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaai9XHZEl4on). It's written entirely in F#, except for one small assembly (for save web pages as MHT, it's written in C#).  
    For the most part, I used F# as “better C#“. Forms are created dynamically. Simple HTTP clients are certainly F# Agents in my application. Another pure F#  part is Multi Tree of webpage frames.
    Friday, May 13, 2016 8:33 AM