none
Symbols for release version? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a release version which fails if started by opening the .exe, but works if started with the debugger (F5 in VS2005). I have the map and  .pdb files from the release build.

Since I have JIT debugging enabled, the access violation which causes the crash opens a dialog which asks me to select a debugger. Is there any way I can tell this debugger to use the map and/or program db to get a symbolic display of the call stack, etc?

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 9:16 PM

Answers

• After you have selected the debugger in the JIT dialog and broken into the debugger you can then load symbols. You can do this using context menu in callstack window or modules window or go to Tools -> Options -> Debugger -> Symbols and setup symbol paths and click OK.

Hope that helps.

Azeem Khan

Visual Studio Debugger.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 11:38 PM

All replies

• After you have selected the debugger in the JIT dialog and broken into the debugger you can then load symbols. You can do this using context menu in callstack window or modules window or go to Tools -> Options -> Debugger -> Symbols and setup symbol paths and click OK.

Hope that helps.

Azeem Khan

Visual Studio Debugger.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 11:38 PM
  • I was able to get the "load symbols" option from the call stack context menu, but when I select the symbol file, I get an error "The symbol file MyApp.pdb does not match the module".

The executable was originally MyApp.exe and the pgm db was MyApp.pdb; I made copies and renamed them to MyApp123.exe and MyApp123.pdb (123 is the version number of MyApp's release).

Thursday, August 31, 2006 12:15 AM
  • Try leaving the name of the pdb the same. This name is burnt into the image and debugger will look for it among other things for a match. So in your case leave the pdb name as MyApp.pdb.

Azeem Khan

Visual Studio Debugger.

Thursday, August 31, 2006 12:33 AM
  • I tried that, and it did work. Tnx for the help.
    Thursday, August 31, 2006 6:26 AM
  • I'm sorry for the late response, but is there a way that we can accomplish the same symbol resolution *without* having to keep the pdb file with its original name?  We have many instances when it's practical to rename the pdb file after a build.
    Wednesday, April 18, 2007 11:08 PM