none
What is Tf.All??? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings.

I am currently analyzing some VB.NET code in Visual Studio 2008 using the 3.5 framework.

While reading this code I encountered this statement among the imports: Imports Tf.All.

I cannot find any detailed information about this. What little I have found seems to point to Team Foundation Server.

Is this import there so that TFS can be used with this code? If so, do I even need it if I'm not using TFS?

And if it is not for TFS, then what do I need it for?

Thanks!

Todd Cannon

Todd Cannon Programmer/Analyst SPM Resorts Myrtle Beach, SC

Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Try commenting the line out ( or deleting it ), if you then get some squiggly lines elsewhere in your code

you will have found out why you would need that particular IMPORTS statement.  :)

Here is a very simple example of what I mean.>>

'Imports System.Environment

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

MessageBox.Show("Hello " & NewLine & "there!!")

End Sub

End Class

'

With the Imports line uncommented we do not get a squiggly line under the keyword NewLine

>>

Imports System.Environment

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

End Sub

End Class

Regards,

profile for John Anthony Oliver at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Click this link to see the NEW way of how to insert a picture into a forum post.

Installing VB6 on Windows 7

App Hub for Windows Phone & XBOX 360 developers.

• Marked as answer by ToddCannon Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:14 PM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:30 PM
  • What were the other imports line?  "TF" looks like an alias to me...  Somewhere above that import you might find something like:

Imports TF = Microsoft.TeamFoundation

Though I'm not sure this is actually a TeamFoundation assembly import because that namespace does not contain anything name "All".  So you might also check through the project and make sure that there is not an object defined somewhere with the name "TF", or the name "ALL" in the a namespace called "TF".  You can try right clicking on "TF" and selecting "Go to definition" and this may take you to the Object Browser at the location where the object is defined.  You might also try to right click and select "Find all references" to see where else in the project "TF" might be defined or used.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

• Marked as answer by ToddCannon Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:15 PM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 4:13 PM

All replies

• Greetings.

I am currently analyzing some VB.NET code in Visual Studio 2008 using the 3.5 framework.

While reading this code I encountered this statement among the imports: Imports Tf.All.

I cannot find any detailed information about this. What little I have found seems to point to Team Foundation Server.

Is this import there so that TFS can be used with this code? If so, do I even need it if I'm not using TFS?

And if it is not for TFS, then what do I need it for?

Thanks!

Todd Cannon

• Merged by Lily_Wu Friday, June 29, 2012 5:54 AM they are same
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:16 PM
  • Hi,

Try commenting the line out ( or deleting it ), if you then get some squiggly lines elsewhere in your code

you will have found out why you would need that particular IMPORTS statement.  :)

Here is a very simple example of what I mean.>>

'Imports System.Environment

Public Class Form1

End Sub

End Class

'

With the Imports line uncommented we do not get a squiggly line under the keyword NewLine

>>

Imports System.Environment

Public Class Form1

End Sub

End Class

Regards,

profile for John Anthony Oliver at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Click this link to see the NEW way of how to insert a picture into a forum post.

Installing VB6 on Windows 7

App Hub for Windows Phone & XBOX 360 developers.

• Marked as answer by ToddCannon Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:14 PM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:30 PM
  • That's a good idea, thanks! 

I would still like to know just what that thing is, though! =)

Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:32 PM
  • What were the other imports line?  "TF" looks like an alias to me...  Somewhere above that import you might find something like:

Imports TF = Microsoft.TeamFoundation

Though I'm not sure this is actually a TeamFoundation assembly import because that namespace does not contain anything name "All".  So you might also check through the project and make sure that there is not an object defined somewhere with the name "TF", or the name "ALL" in the a namespace called "TF".  You can try right clicking on "TF" and selecting "Go to definition" and this may take you to the Object Browser at the location where the object is defined.  You might also try to right click and select "Find all references" to see where else in the project "TF" might be defined or used.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

• Marked as answer by ToddCannon Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:15 PM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 4:13 PM
  • It turns out that it's a custom class that was installed by the previous dev.

From what I've been able to surmise, it handles some global connection string variable and God knows what else.

It also seems to handle custom GUI elements, too, but I'm not sure yet.

• Marked as answer by ToddCannon Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:41 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by ToddCannon Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:14 PM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 5:35 PM
  •     Please mark yourself as the answer since you answered your own question. This will keep people from responding to your post pretty much. Thank You.

You've taught me everything I know but not everything you know.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:01 PM
  • Done! :)

Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:42 PM
  • Done! :)

@Todd:

Actually you should mark the posts that lead to your answer, if any of them did.  If not, please share the methodology that did lead to an answer.  The point of marking answers isn't to keep people from replying but to make the answer available to others who may get this thread in a search result.  In this case it could be helpful for someone else to know how you figured out the answer so that they could reproduce the troubleshooting steps.

BTW, must be a beautiful working location =P  I haven't been to Myrtle Beach since I was a child, but always loved it there!

@MR. Monkeyboy:

Please allow the moderators/administrators to take care of cleaning up threads.  And again, please do not direct users to clicking specific answers; only suggest that they themselves choose one or more answers in order to close a thread. 

Thursday, June 28, 2012 7:05 PM
  • @Reed:

That makes more sense.

What I did was take the suggestions I got from this thread and run the project with the Imports Tf.All commented out. 

The program threw a few errors, all of which appeared to be some type of global variable being handled by Tf.All.

That at least let me know that the class is needed in the forms that it is currently in. Not sure if I will use it myself when I add new code to the project as there is no documentation for it and I don't know what else it does or even why it's being used the way it is.

Thanks for the input, everyone! :)

Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:20 PM

What I did was take the suggestions I got from this thread and run the project with the Imports Tf.All commented out. 

The program threw a few errors, all of which appeared to be some type of global variable being handled by Tf.All.

That at least let me know that the class is needed in the forms that it is currently in. Not sure if I will use it myself when I add new code to the project as there is no documentation for it and I don't know what else it does or even why it's being used the way it is.

If you want to find out what is in it and what it does, since it's a .NET assembly, you can use a program such as Reflector which will show you the code (in C#, VB or IL). You will most likely find the assembly (a dll) somewhere with this class/namespace. You can then decide how useful it is, and alleviate the mystery of it.

Stephen J Whiteley

Friday, June 29, 2012 7:17 PM