none
How to rename texts in a Standart Browse File / Browse Folder Dialog RRS feed

• Question

• Hello !
    On my application I use the

System.Windows.Forms.OpenFileDialog
    System.Windows.Forms.FolderBrowserDialog

But on these default windows there are some buttons or labels that are in English.
    Is there any possibility to access  and rename these in anther language ?
    Thank you !

Friday, July 24, 2015 9:18 AM

All replies

• Is there any possibility to access  and rename these in anther language ?

No additional work should be needed to make these dialogs appear with the language that the user has configured.  If there is English text on these dialogs then it is because the user has configured English as the language for the operating system.

Have you confirmed whether these labels are the same if you access them using applications provided with the OS, such as WordPad?   If some of the text is localised and some is not then that would be a problem with the operating system. 

• Proposed as answer by Cor Ligthert Friday, July 24, 2015 4:12 PM
    Friday, July 24, 2015 12:37 PM
  • I know this.

But I want to change these texts without changing the default language of the operating system.

So is there any way to access and change these text on vb.net ?

Thank you !

Friday, July 24, 2015 12:50 PM
  • I know this.

But I want to change these texts without changing the default language of the operating system.

Thank you !

It doesn't seem a good idea to break the operating systems localisation capability. In any case, I don't think you can do that with the standard dialogs, you would have to create your own version with similar functionality.
    Friday, July 24, 2015 12:55 PM
  • I know this.

Thank you !

It doesn't seem a good idea to break the operating systems localisation capability. In any case, I don't think you can do that with the standard dialogs, you would have to create your own version with similar functionality.
     Any idea how can I create my owns ?
    Friday, July 24, 2015 1:25 PM
  • Create a form. Add a TreeView on the left and a ListView on the right. Use the TreeView to show drives and directories. Use the ListView to display the contents of the selected drive or directory. Add a button for the user to click when the file is selected. 

It's quite a bit of work and the result probably won't look exactly the same as the standard dialog. I'm not sure why you would want to do this.

• Proposed as answer by Cor Ligthert Friday, July 24, 2015 4:12 PM
    Friday, July 24, 2015 1:42 PM
  • Hello !
    On my application I use the

System.Windows.Forms.OpenFileDialog
    System.Windows.Forms.FolderBrowserDialog

But on these default windows there are some buttons or labels that are in English.
    Is there any possibility to access  and rename these in anther language ?
    Thank you !

Use appropriate API's to alter the text to some other text for the windows of the dialogs in question. If API's can do that. It will take some time to research and try that on your part I suspect.

SPY++ may be able to assist you if you have it and understand how to use it.

La vida loca

Friday, July 24, 2015 3:59 PM
  • But I want to change these texts without changing the default language of the operating system.

Then you will need to write your own.   There are many examples available in VB6 which can be converted.

Friday, July 24, 2015 10:08 PM
  • But I want to change these texts without changing the default language of the operating system.

Then you will need to write your own.   There are many examples available in VB6 which can be converted.

Can you give me one of these  vb6 examples ?
    Saturday, July 25, 2015 5:54 AM
  • Can you give me one of these  vb6 examples ?

Here is one example:

http://www.vb6.us/tutorials/using-vb6-file-system-controls

The DriveListBox, DirListBox and FileListBox all exist in Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatibility.VB6 so those examples translate directly into .Net.  Add the supporting controls as required. 

Or, you can use the code there and populate your own gridview or similar.  For instance:
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?768447-Display-file-list-in-Datagridview

Saturday, July 25, 2015 7:10 AM
  • Be aware that to do this and could use standard dialogs, English has to be available on those systems. Otherwise you get rubbish.

If you make your own control it often confusing the user because making it exactly the same is real a bunch of work.

But I'm curious, why would you want to do this. You make your program only less worth for other users than you, while the chance that a user real recognize this if the rest is English is low. They see thousand times those dialogs in their own language. They will only be surprised if that is now in another language.

Success
    Cor

Saturday, July 25, 2015 7:39 AM
  • Be aware that to do this and could use standard dialogs, English has to be available on those systems. Otherwise you get rubbish.

If you make your own control it often confusing the user because making it exactly the same is real a bunch of work.

But I'm curious, why would you want to do this. You make your program only less worth for other users than you, while the chance that a user real recognize this if the rest is English is low. They see thousand times those dialogs in their own language. They will only be surprised if that is now in another language.

Success
    Cor

My program is going to be multi-language.

I want that if the user change the program language to another language , everything should be in that language. So I think has no sense that these dialogues to remain in English.

But the reason that I want to access and change the default windows ( instead of creating my owns ) is that every operating systems has its owns File/Folder dialogues versions. So I want to keep the OS window version ,  but I want just to change the texts only.

Saturday, July 25, 2015 8:15 AM
  • So I want to keep the OS window version ,  but I want just to change the texts only.

Your objective is inconsistent.  You say that you want the dialogs to be the same as those provided by the operating system, then you say that you want to change them.

If you are going to change the text I would recommend that you do not make them look the same as the operating system ones, as that would be very confusing for users who are already familiar with these dialogs.   Worst case will be that you cause people to wonder why their operating system has suddenly started mixing up the languages used on the dialogs.  You won't risk that if you make them distinctively different.  You are then only requiring your users to become familiar with a different format.

Saturday, July 25, 2015 10:04 AM
  • So I want to keep the OS window version ,  but I want just to change the texts only.

Your objective is inconsistent.  You say that you want the dialogs to be the same as those provided by the operating system, then you say that you want to change them.

If you are going to change the text I would recommend that you do not make them look the same as the operating system ones, as that would be very confusing for users who are already familiar with these dialogs.   Worst case will be that you cause people to wonder why their operating system has suddenly started mixing up the languages used on the dialogs.  You won't risk that if you make them distinctively different.  You are then only requiring your users to become familiar with a different format.

I said " I want to keep the dialogs the same as the operating systems ( I mean the look ) but I want to change the text only".

No , I'm not confusing the users , because they think that this is a window open from inside of my program.

And sorry for making this a long conversation. I just make a question if is there any possibility to programmatically change the text in these dialogs. If someone know a way , post a solution. If it's impossible to do , please confirm this.I think the relation with my users is my responsibility.

Actually on this link :http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/19566/Extend-OpenFileDialog-and-SaveFileDialog-the-easy is explained how to extend these dialogs window , but I don't know how to change the existing elements like button's text.
    • Edited by dcode25 Saturday, July 25, 2015 11:28 AM
    Saturday, July 25, 2015 11:07 AM