none
Process Fails on Multiple Processors With OutofMemory exception on Multiple Processors II RRS feed

• Question

• This is a continuation of:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/a3a51e8f-badc-4015-8904-f13cd415e865/process-fails-on-multiple-processors-with-outofmemory-exception-on-multiple-processors?forum=vbgeneral

Renee

"MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me

Friday, June 20, 2014 9:44 PM

All replies

• I am figuring why you did not encounter any errors - there weren't enough files on your disk.

I have a reliable failure at this number. Here is the crash....

"MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me

Friday, June 20, 2014 10:44 PM
  • look at attributeOffset:

Friday, June 20, 2014 10:52 PM
  • I think this was a test but i'm not sure. But it was one the things Reed brought up.

Renee

Friday, June 20, 2014 11:08 PM
  • I was wrong! Restoring the file did not. It still stops 318679 at and it shouldn't.

Renee

Saturday, June 21, 2014 12:30 AM
  • Why does it stop here?

Renee

Saturday, June 21, 2014 12:35 AM
  • I have to disagree with that, my opinion is that we are not parsing the data correctly. This is the record immediately after the one that I was crashing on - look at the length of the [BITMAP] record.

Saturday, June 21, 2014 12:49 AM
  • Im way behind you....what is in the post that you just made? What tool did the interpretation and formatting above.

You have "What the heck is this", but I have no big picture? What are you looking at and asking about?

Renee

Saturday, June 21, 2014 1:56 AM
  • I understand much of that, especially the filename attribute and the standard information.

But I think there is an end of attributes attribute, where is it?

Renee

Saturday, June 21, 2014 2:05 AM
  • The attribute length of the BITMAP attribute shows as 28 00 98 97, little endian - that converts to &H97980028 which is what causes the out of bounds errors, overflow etc. It is supposed to be 28 00 00 00 which is just &H28, the bitmap attribute starts at offset &H01F8 and the next attribute [END OF ATTRIBUTES] starts at &H220, which is consistent with the bitmap length of &H28.

All this is done using rawcopy.exe to create a binary image of the MFT and MFT Explorer which I have sent you a few times. 

• Marked as answer by Renee Culver Saturday, June 21, 2014 2:48 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Renee Culver Sunday, June 22, 2014 6:11 PM
    Saturday, June 21, 2014 1:17 PM
  • It is right below the BITMAP attribute - there is no data associated with that attribute and there is no attribute that follows it.
    Saturday, June 21, 2014 1:18 PM
  • What is the 98 and 97? And I thank you for the copies of MFT Explorer.

I'll try masking them out. Thank you!

Renee

Saturday, June 21, 2014 2:48 PM
  • Postnote: I bet thar "feature" did not exist during XP. I'll bet "that feature" came later after XP and that's why things run smoothly under XP!

Renee

Saturday, June 21, 2014 2:54 PM
  • so dump your MFT with rawcopy, load it into MFT Explorer and look at record number 318680 for attribute lengths that appear unrealistic.

RawCopy.exe C:0 E:\outputfile.txt

Saturday, June 21, 2014 4:45 PM
  • Can't you ask Dave Cutler ?

Saturday, June 21, 2014 4:46 PM
  • I dont know that he works at MS anymore. I haven't seen him since the eighties.

But largely thanks to you, I finally have it working:

The next part is the refinements. :) I have a grand design and this is just the beginning.

Renee

Sunday, June 22, 2014 4:24 AM
  • You know what? There HAS TO BE a written spec on this somewhere?

If the public had access to it?

Renee

Sunday, June 22, 2014 2:36 PM
  • Im getting the same failure again :(.

Renee

Sunday, June 22, 2014 6:12 PM