Problem with sattelite assembly generation RRS feed

• Question

• hi.

(Sorry if this is the wrong forum; i tried to find a more fitting one but didn't....)

I have a managed (vc2010) c++ project (named 'constants'), that contains strings in a "strings.resx" file. In the same directory where the strings.resx is located, i have another "strings.en-us.resx" which contains the same strings, translated into english.

Now, when i build the project (debug build), i get the files "constants.strings.resources", "constants.strings.en-us.rsources", the "constants.dll" assembly as well as a "en-us/constants.resources..dll". However, the "en-us/constants.resources.dll" does _not_ contain the localized strings. infact, it is actually empty (only 4 k in size). as of this, at runtime, i don't get to see the translated strings from this assembly but the one from the locale-invariant assembly.

(all of the translation stuff works with my c# assemblies: only the c++ one doesn't work.)

when i turn on the "diagnostic" logging for msbuild in the IDE, i get (a lot of stuff and) this:

-----------------------------
    1>  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\AL.exe /culture:en-us /out:Debug\en-us\kernel.managed.constants.resources.dll /template:Debug\kernel.managed.constants.dll /embed:Debug\kernel.managed.constants.strings.en-us.resources
    1>  Microsoft (R) Assembly Linker Version 10.0.30319.1
    ----------------------------

to me this appears to be the correct way to do this; however, the resulting dll is not correct.

When i run the same command from the visual Studio command line, the correct assembly containing the translations gets created.

What am i doing wrong ?

WM_THXADVANCE
    -thomas woelfer

http://www.die.de/blog

Friday, August 16, 2013 4:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When i run the same command from the visual Studio command line, the correct assembly containing the translations gets created.

It seems that it is not the VS usage issue, but as you said that it works well when you run the same command line in command line, one idea is that you would check whether it is related to the permission, for example, you could run your VS as the admin, check it again.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai[MSFT]
    <THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, August 19, 2013 1:20 AM
  • Jack,

well i very much doubted this had anything to do with permissions, given that the command line command works when using the same account as the one i'm using for visual Studio, but i tried nonetheless.

No changes here. the file gets created, but it is not the correct one. It's just a "dummy" (i.o.w.: a formal correct assembly) one that doesn't contain any of the translated texts.

i really think this looks more like some Kind of racing condition in the build, or like one of the "glitches" VS has when it Comes to specifying pathes. (like, a trailing '\' that should really be optional, but in some cases isn't.)

any other suggestions?

WM_THX
    -thomas woelfer

Monday, August 19, 2013 3:41 PM
  • Hi Thomas,

Sorry for no help to you.

Actually it seems that it is not the correct forum for this issue, since this forum is to discuss Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor.

To help you resolve this issue as soon as possible, one idea is that you could share me a simple sample, I will try to repro this issue in my side. Please attach your Visual Studio project, you can upload it to the sky drive, and then share the download link in your post. Please also share me the detailed steps in your new reply.

In addition, I’m not very sure which forum will be better for this issue, but if it is related to the VC++ language development forum, this forum will be better: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=vcgeneral

Or you could post this issue to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

If there's any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

Jack Zhai[MSFT]
    <THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:21 AM
  • Jack,

i'll ask in the moderator Forum for the correct Forum for this issue.

WM_THX
    -thomas woelfer

-------------------
    (sorry for funny capitalization and spelling. for unknown reasons, the latest Version of ie is doing this to me:   http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1e0215d1-da68-4a5b-a2cd-2dbf34029c67/cant-really-post-to-the-forums )
    ------------------

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:42 AM
  • Hi Thomas,

Since you have posted to the moderator forum, I will move this case to the Off-topic forum, if you met any VS General issue, welcome to our forum.J

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai[MSFT]
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:41 AM