none
.iso file versions of the Express Edition products. Do such files exist for download on one or more disc image(s)? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ALL,

.iso file versions of the Express Edition products. Do such files exist for download on one or more disc image(s) please?

Regards,

John

P.S.

I'm no longer pursuing a career in .Net development ( although it has been a dream of mine ) as an ongoing
    health issue has often deterred me from doing so ( plus I think my age is against me now), even though I am
    holding down a career where I've been working with the same employer for 10 years now.
    ( I'd rather wished I'd been in a better position at the age of 50 compared to say 30 years ago ).
    My plans now are to ( possibly ) do a degree and retrain to become a teacher in I.T. or / and mathematics.

The reason I mention this is that I find the price of the full desktop version of Visual Studio to be prohibitive
    and I can not afford to keep up with technology these days ( even though I have Windows 10 ) and I dislike
    the "subscription model" that some companies such as Microsoft have gone down for products such as OFFICE.
    The same goes for Adobe software products.

Regards,

profile for John Anthony Oliver at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Click this link to see the NEW way of how to insert a picture into a forum post.

Installing VB6 on Windows 7

App Hub for Windows Phone & XBOX 360 developers.

Saturday, January 9, 2016 12:16 AM

Answers

•  You can download the VS2015 community version at the link below.  It is free,  however you will need to register it like any other VS version.  VS2008 was the only one you did not have to register when you installed it from the ISO.

Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015

When you press the Download button it will ask if you want to download the exe web installer or the ISO.  I was just checking it out the other day myself.  I don`t have the money to keep up with all this new stuff ether.  8)

If you say it can`t be done then i`ll try it

Saturday, January 9, 2016 12:37 AM

All replies

•  You can download the VS2015 community version at the link below.  It is free,  however you will need to register it like any other VS version.  VS2008 was the only one you did not have to register when you installed it from the ISO.

Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015

When you press the Download button it will ask if you want to download the exe web installer or the ISO.  I was just checking it out the other day myself.  I don`t have the money to keep up with all this new stuff ether.  8)

Saturday, January 9, 2016 12:37 AM
  • Hi John,

Good to see you again. :)

Shouldn't this be a question rather than a discussion?

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe. -- Abraham Lincoln

Saturday, January 9, 2016 1:00 AM
  • Hi Frank,

Happy 2016 to you and all your Family and Friends.

:-D Good to see you remembered me too. LOL!!

Thread changed to question and marked As Answer.  :-)

Regards,

John

Regards,

profile for John Anthony Oliver at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Click this link to see the NEW way of how to insert a picture into a forum post.

Saturday, January 9, 2016 1:11 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you IronRazerz.

I used the first link I found from my Google search which is

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-express-vs.aspx

which shows 4 items.

I propose your post As Answer for the Community Edition.

I don't know if that includes all of the 2015 products;

• Express for Desktop
    • Express for Web
    • Express for Windows
    • Team Foundation Server 2015 Express

I'll wait for the download to finish and see.  :-)

Regards,

John

Regards,

Saturday, January 9, 2016 1:12 AM
  • Hi Frank,

Happy 2016 to you and all your Family and Friends.

And to you also. :)

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe. -- Abraham Lincoln

Saturday, January 9, 2016 1:13 AM
  • I don't know if that includes all of the 2015 products;
    • Express for Desktop
    • Express for Web
    • Express for Windows

I can`t say,  i was thinking about downloading it and upgrade from 2010 this weekend so,  i just happened to save the link for downloading the ISO the other day.  8)

Saturday, January 9, 2016 1:45 AM

• Express for Desktop
    • Express for Web
    • Express for Windows

I can`t say,  i was thinking about downloading it and upgrade from 2010 this weekend so,  i just happened to save the link for downloading the ISO the other day.  8)

Visual Studio Community Edition includes all the functionality of Visual Studio Professional. The only difference is that the license is restricted to
    • Individuals.
    • Up to 5 concurrent users at small companies (< 250 PCs, < $1M annual revenue).
    • Unlimited users at any company as long as it is used to develop open source software or for education or academic research.
    Saturday, January 9, 2016 4:43 AM

• Express for Desktop
    • Express for Web
    • Express for Windows

Visual Studio Community Edition includes all the functionality of Visual Studio Professional. The only difference is that the license is restricted to
    • Individuals.
    • Up to 5 concurrent users at small companies (< 250 PCs, < $1M annual revenue).
    • Unlimited users at any company as long as it is used to develop open source software or for education or academic research.

I have to wonder now if an individual is only allowed to use it for Open Source software.  I`m going to have to look into that before i bother downloading it. 

Saturday, January 9, 2016 10:58 AM
  • Visual Studio Community Edition includes all the functionality of Visual Studio Professional. The only difference is that the license is restricted to
    • Individuals.

I have to wonder now if an individual is only allowed to use it for Open Source software.  I`m going to have to look into that before i bother downloading it. 

Individuals can use Community Edition for any type of project (including commercial ones). It is only large companies (>=250 PCs, >= $1M annual revenue) that can only use it for open source projects.

www.visualstudio.com/en-us/legal/mt171547.aspx

• Edited by Blackwood Saturday, January 9, 2016 2:28 PM
    Saturday, January 9, 2016 2:25 PM
  • Individuals can use Community Edition for any type of project (including commercial ones). It is only large companies (>=250 PCs, >= $1M annual revenue) that can only use it for open source projects.

www.visualstudio.com/en-us/legal/mt171547.aspx

Thanks Blackwood.  I did look a little this morning real quick and found a few posts that said basically the same thing but,  i wanted to be sure before downloading the 3.? Gb ISO.   8)

Saturday, January 9, 2016 5:53 PM