Feature list shows both Effort and Story Points. What's the difference? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I thought that story points showed the effort (relative number) to put into a user story. But TFS 2015 have both Effort and Story Points. What to use when? What's the difference?

Detail view of a Product Backlog Item (user story?) shows and Effort field, but the Feature list shows both (I might have customized the columns, I don't know if both is shown by standard!)

NB: I might be interchanging XP and Scrum terminology! Do say so, if I do!

Best regards SvendK

Friday, April 22, 2016 10:37 AM

Answers

• Hi SvendKo,

Thank you for posting here.

The Effort is for Product Backlogs and Features, and Story Points are for Userstories. Open a feature, you will only find Efforts.

In the picture you posted, you can see both Effort and Story Points, that may because someone added the Story Points column to the feature board. You could remove this column by clicking the Column options button.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, April 25, 2016 3:13 AM

All replies

• Hi SvendKo,

Thank you for posting here.

The Effort is for Product Backlogs and Features, and Story Points are for Userstories. Open a feature, you will only find Efforts.

In the picture you posted, you can see both Effort and Story Points, that may because someone added the Story Points column to the feature board. You could remove this column by clicking the Column options button.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, April 25, 2016 3:13 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

Yes, apparently I had customized the columns, I might have forgotten about that. I just removed it.

A User Story is a Product Backlog Item, isn't it? If I open up a Product Backlog Item from the Backlog Items, Backlog view, I get this, showing Effort, not Story Points.

Looking forward to you elaboration :-)

Best regards SvendK

Monday, April 25, 2016 11:29 AM
  • Hi Svendko,

>>A User Story is a Product Backlog Item, isn't it?

No, User Story is for Agile template and Product Backlog Item is for Scrum template. They are different things.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 1:48 AM
  • Ooh, right! I get it now. Thanks.

Effort is still relative points, right? Or, is that up to the team to decide? I mean, it's not hours?

Best regards SvendK

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 9:23 AM
  • Hi SvendK,

I am glad that can help you.

As far as I know, it's hours, you need to enter a number.

For this thread, you could mark the replay I proposed as an answer. It will be very beneficial for other community members having the similar questions. All your participation and support are very important to build such harmonious/ pleasant / learning environment for MSDN community.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 1:32 AM