Reporting Visual C++ bugs to Microsoft RRS feed

• Question

• I have reported a number of Visual C++ 8.0 bugs to Microsoft at their bug reporting site at https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Feedback . Currently, and for the last month and a half, I have two bugs which I have reported directly to Microsoft, after being ignored on the web address above, which still have not been resolved. Other bugs which I have reported to Microsoft at the web address above have gotten comments from Microsoft ranging from an arcane and onerous workaround, which no one can rightfully use, to "Thanks for reporting the issue! One of our team members is currently looking into it", and then the bugs are closed with evidently no acknowledgment that the bug actually exists or needs to be fixed or that anybody has actually looked into it.

What is the point of reporting bugs to Microsoft if the only effort they make is to ignore them and then close them ? Is the bug reporting system actually there to get Microsoft to actually fix bugs ? Is my only recourse when a bug is ignored and closed to call Microsoft directly and then be continually ignored for month after month while people supposedly are looking to fix these bugs ? Is there anyone in the Microsoft organization who actually believes that the end-user has a right to develop with their product and have bugs fixed which impede their development ?

I really want to know what to do when I run into bugs developing in Visual C++ and these bugs are stopping or impeding my development. Is there any recourse other than the current system, which in my case and opinion is a miserable failure ? Are there people higher up in the Microsoft organization who can actually get attention paid to actual documented problems in the Visual C++ compiler for VS Studio 2005 ? Or am I just wasting my time trying to use Visual C++ or C++/CLI because Microsoft is doing all they can by ignoring problems in the product to discourage people from using Visual C++ and force them to use C# instead ? Some honesty by Microsoft or their representatives would be appreciated. Thank you !
    Wednesday, November 15, 2006 3:18 PM

Answers

• Hello

Sorry for the inconvenience and the delay. This problem should now have been fixed and these bugs should now show their correct status. Also if a bug has been closed and there are no comments about why and you would like some comments then please reactivate the bug.

Again, sorry for the problem.

Thanks

Damien

Thursday, December 7, 2006 11:51 PM

All replies

• Hello

Many of us spend a lot of time looking at customer feedback (in many forms such as this Forum) and value this customer interaction very much. Can you give me some links to the bugs you reported so I can check what happened?

Thanks

Damien

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 7:25 PM
  •  Damien Watkins - MSFT wrote:

Hello

Many of us spend a lot of time looking at customer feedback (in many forms such as this Forum) and value this customer interaction very much. Can you give me some links to the bugs you reported so I can check what happened?

Thanks

Damien

The two bug being investigated by Microsoft are private bug reports. I actually received an answer for one of them just today, after nearly two months after I first reported it on the bug submittal page, and a month and a half after I took it directly to Microsoft by phone. Hopefully I will get an answer for the second one "real soon now". A Microsoft support person has been in periodic contact with me about it, but it has been two and a half months after I first reported it and one and half months after I re-reported it. Both bugs, but especially the latter, are blocking bug reports.

Bug id 101677 was addressed by explaining what was causing the error and giving me a workaround, but the workaround is so impossible to actually use that I expected at least a message that Microsoft would be fixing the bug, given that they know exactly why it was happening. Instead the submittal gets closed with no further comment. Perhaps closing it is a way of saying, "Well we gave you a workaround, however onerous it might be. You really don't expect us to actually fix this bug, do you ?".

Bug id 101674 get a comment months ago of "Thanks for reporting the issue! One of our team members is currently looking into it" and that's the last one hears about it before it is unceremoniously closed. Gee, I am so glad I reported the case to get such undivided attention.

Bug id 101673 was never looked at, with again the proverbial "Thanks for reporting the issue! Soon one of the compiler developers will take a look" so I just gave up on it, and moved from trying to port my Managed C++ VS2003 code to VS2005 to rewriting it all in C++/CLI. Perhaps I should have done that in the first place, but when Microsoft says that they still support Managed C++ in VS2005 it gives one the feeling that it is supposed to work.
     I get they are so relieved that I went away and gave up on them fixing the bad code generation of Managed C++ in VS2005 that they closed the case without bothering to explain anything.

I don;t mind it if Microsoft actually explains why they are closing valid bug reports, since maybe they actually intend, heaven forbid, to fix the bugs, but to close the reports without any further explanation is just rude, especially when valid bugs are pointed out to them.

Developers are actually people who are trying to get work done. When valid bugs are reported to Microsoft and it takes months for them to address the problems, or they don't even attempt to address the problem, it does not speak well of the relation to the developer.
    Thursday, November 16, 2006 4:01 AM
  • Hello

So we may have made a mistake here, it appears be that some of the bugs now marked closed are still being worked on and some that have been closed may not have had  the resolution propagated to the external site – I will get back to you with a complete answer shortly.

Thanks

Damien

Saturday, November 18, 2006 8:43 PM
  • Hello

So we are working on a fix to get the status of your bugs correctly represented in Connect.

Thanks

Damien

Monday, November 27, 2006 11:40 PM
  • Hello

Sorry for the inconvenience and the delay. This problem should now have been fixed and these bugs should now show their correct status. Also if a bug has been closed and there are no comments about why and you would like some comments then please reactivate the bug.

Thanks

Damien

Thursday, December 7, 2006 11:51 PM

Hello

Sorry for the inconvenience and the delay. This problem should now have been fixed and these bugs should now show their correct status. Also if a bug has been closed and there are no comments about why and you would like some comments then please reactivate the bug.

Thanks

Damien

Nothing whatsoever was changed, so what is the reason for the charade as represented by your messages ? So you can look good ? Don't bother, I am not impressed by this tomfoolery. The same bug reports that were previously ignored, are still being ignored, and the same bug reports which were marked as closed, with ridiculous "workarounds" which no human being would ever want to use, are still marked as closed.

At least the two bugs I reported directly to Microsoft were finally resolved with workarounds after 2 and 2 and one half months respectively, ridiculously long times for blocking problems.
    Saturday, December 16, 2006 3:41 PM
  • Hello

I thought I saw changes - for examle, did the status of bug 101674 not change from “Closed External” to “Closed Won’t fix”? Did you reactivate the bug to get more detailed comments? (If you wanted them that is.)

Thanks

Damien

Thursday, January 4, 2007 6:46 PM

Hello

I thought I saw changes - for examle, did the status of bug 101674 not change from “Closed External” to “Closed Won’t fix”? Did you reactivate the bug to get more detailed comments? (If you wanted them that is.)

Thanks

Damien

Bug report 101677 is closed with the status of Closed(Other). The workaround for that bug can not be seriously used by any programmer since it is just a hit and miss affair which could show the bug manifesting itself again very easily after the supposed hit and miss workaround works for a single case. If it is closed because Microsoft has fixed it, it should say so. If it is closed because Microsoft has just decided to ignore it, it is a travesty, as the workaround is clearly non-functional in any programmer's real world.

The bug you mention above, 101674, received no explanation of why "Closed won't fix" occurred. Is it not a problem that no reusable assembly can be created with the function signatures given. I do realize that there is a workaround ( add the functionality in each assembly that needs it or create a CLR static lib to be added to each assembly that needs it ) but should not Microsoft either pursue a solution or specify why they think the workarounds are adequate. This business of "Thanks for reporting the issue! One of our team members is currently looking into it." and then closing a report with absolutely no comment whatsoever is pretty pathetic.

Bug number 199186 "Closed ( Won't fix )" makes no sense. Clearly C++/CLI is being shown to work unlike standard C++, with no doc explaining the difference, but there is not only no attempt to fix the problem, there is not even an attempt to explain that if the problem is not fixed, this difference will be clearly documented just like others have been in the past, so that other C++/CLI programmers will know about it. Microsoft is saying that it is not important for C++/CLI programmers to understand the differences between standard C++ syntax and C++/CLI CLR syntax, whereas it is actually crucial for a C++/CLI programmer to know this, just as it is crucial for any computer language user to know the basics of their language. How cavalier for Microsoft to treat such information as unimportant. Would they do the same thing if it concerned a syntax element of C# ? I don't even have to seriously ask that question to know the answer.

In general when a bug is reported which is valid, or a language inconsistency is found, Microsoft often considers it a viable option to respond to the bug report by saying essentially "Closed, and we are not really going to do anything about the problem" with no further comment. This is pathetic. What is the point of reporting bugs and problems to Microsoft if they are just going to be ignored ?

Thursday, January 4, 2007 9:06 PM