none
msls-2.5.2.0 - small release - big thank you RRS feed

• General discussion

• Okay,  so I was reviewing the new version and there's not a lot new (3 bug fixes from what I can tell), but I feel compelled to say Thank you LS team for this.

Let's just highlight the one issue in this thread

8/25 noticed by community member Hessc and bug filed

8/25 repro'd by community member Novascape (same day, now that's community)

8/27 repro'd by MSFT Patrick Baker (less than 2 days later, bravo!)

9/5  bug fixed and checked in, connect case closed (less than 7 bus. days - fixed, wow!)

10/7 msls.2.5.2.0 released to public (okay so it took a month to test and release but give em a break)

In under a week a bug is corrected and in 45 days released to the public.

I think that's swell and hope regular js releases continue.

So thank you LS Team!  and thank you fellow community members! Keep up the great work!

Truly,

Josh

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 6:10 PM

All replies

• Agree 100%. 

Josh,

What else was fixed from what you can tell?

• Edited by Hessc Tuesday, October 7, 2014 8:18 PM
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 8:16 PM
  • Looks like a bug fix which prevented the search input of a modal picker from clearing when the contentItem.value is set to null:

how to call clear button of html details picker control programmaticaly?

A typo for sort icon in the table column header, I think.

Something is changed with 'slider' control, but I we've not seen that control in action, have we?

That's all I saw in compare diff.

HTH,

Josh

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 8:25 PM
  • Thanks Josh.
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 8:28 PM
  • That is correct. We just released Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client.JavaScript.Runtime 2.5.2 with a few select bug fixes. You can see more details at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fece95b5-293c-47a2-81e5-523119e8fe3f/microsoftlightswitchclientjavascriptruntime-252-released?forum=lightswitch

-Thanks

Patrick Baker (Visual Studio Senior Development Lead)

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 9:13 PM
  • Thanks Lightswitch Team :)

Please please please keep focussing on the "vanilla" HTML Client :)

It's the best thing since sliced bread.

Very much doubt I will ever use Silverlight or Sharepoint... ever.

Hugs 'n stuff. :)

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 6:49 AM
  • Patrick,

Is the nuget supposed to update default.htm?

It removes css files but doesn't update links so the app is broken and we manually must update default.htm to fix it.

TIA,

Josh

• Edited by joshbooker Thursday, October 9, 2014 2:23 PM iphone can't post
    Thursday, October 9, 2014 11:14 AM
  • No. I don't think any of the major web nuget packages update files that are not part of their deployment. This is something that the end user needs to do. In hindsight it would probably have been helpful to mention that. I will update the sticky. Thanks.

Thursday, October 9, 2014 2:45 PM
  • Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your prompt reply.  I understand not updating files that are outside of the deployment, but if the intention is to put the dev in control and not break the app, perhaps then the package shouldn't remove files - only add new ones.

Josh

• Edited by joshbooker Thursday, October 9, 2014 2:57 PM
    Thursday, October 9, 2014 2:56 PM
  • The CSS files as well as the JS files are versioned and neither are expected to be edited by the developer. Even if we left the CSS files you would still need to modify the default.htm to change the JS references. Nuget will usually leave any files that it thinks have been modified so sometimes the older ones are left around if the timestamps have changed or the developer has made any modifications.

It is expected that any modifications to the CSS should be done in the user-customization.css file. This file overrides the runtime css and is version independent so it doesn't get deleted/changed when switching to a newer version.

We thought about going against the grain and attempting to modify the default.htm back when we released v1, but it just didn't seem like the right thing to do.

Thursday, October 9, 2014 3:11 PM
  • Even if we left the CSS files you would still need to modify the default.htm to change the JS references.

I understand. What I'm trying to say is have the package either edit default.htm or leave all old files - the idea is to not break the app.

Thanks,

Josh

Thursday, October 9, 2014 3:23 PM
  • I'll have to investigate further, but from what I recall, its not possible to leave the old files just on update. The Nuget package manager handles everything and as part of its logic it will uninstall the previous package. We might be able to overwrite the uninstall logic in the package itself to leave them there, but we would need to be able to differentiate between a regular uninstall and an uninstall during upgrade. I am not sure if that is possible. If this is an important consideration for you I suggest you add it to User Voice so that others can see it and up vote.

-Thanks.

Thursday, October 9, 2014 3:36 PM