Visual Studio Ultimate 2012 RC: Setup Blocked RRS feed

• Question

• I have downloaded the latest Visual Studio Ultimate RC and have been trying to install it on my Windows 8 Release Preview (Build 8400). However, I keep getting a "Setup Blocked" window which says the following:

The computer needs to be restarted before setup can continue. Please restart the computer and run setup again.

I have restarted my computer several times and each time, I get the same message.

I am not sure what could be causing this issue. Please help.

Monday, July 23, 2012 9:31 PM

Answers

• Hi lapax,

Thanks for your post.

I recommend you try this workaround:

1. first Open registry (as administrator) and browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
    2. See if there is a string value "PendingFileRenameOperations" and check the value
    3. if there is one, Rename the string value "PendingFileRenameOperations" to something similar to "PendingFileRenameOperationsrename"
    4.  reinstall VS2012 RC
    5. after install VS2012 RC successfully, rename back the string value

Note:How to back up the registry
    Before you edit the registry, you’d better export the keys in the registry that you plan to edit, or back up the whole registry.
    If a problem occurs, you can then follow the steps in the How to restore the registry(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322755#4) section of this article to restore the registry to its previous state.

Regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by Barry Wang Thursday, August 2, 2012 5:51 AM
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 7:10 AM

All replies

• Hi lapax,

Thanks for your post.

I recommend you try this workaround:

1. first Open registry (as administrator) and browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
    2. See if there is a string value "PendingFileRenameOperations" and check the value
    3. if there is one, Rename the string value "PendingFileRenameOperations" to something similar to "PendingFileRenameOperationsrename"
    4.  reinstall VS2012 RC
    5. after install VS2012 RC successfully, rename back the string value

Note:How to back up the registry
    Before you edit the registry, you’d better export the keys in the registry that you plan to edit, or back up the whole registry.
    If a problem occurs, you can then follow the steps in the How to restore the registry(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322755#4) section of this article to restore the registry to its previous state.

Regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by Barry Wang Thursday, August 2, 2012 5:51 AM
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 7:10 AM
  • what do you mean by "to something similar to "PendingFileRenameOperationsrename" "
    I don't get it at all. please help me.

I'm just realize that i have the same problem with this guy. But I'm trying to install VS 2012 Express for windows 8. I tried to use this method but it is not helping.
    • Edited by amirulhadi Monday, January 14, 2013 2:39 PM just realize
    Monday, January 14, 2013 2:34 PM
  • hi, 
    I am trying to install "VS Express 2012 for Windows Desktop", I too had the same problem.
    Your solution did not solve the issue for me.
    I already installed "VS Express 2012 for Windows 8", 
    when I tried to uninstall it, even the uninstaller is displaying the same message. Pls help me in solving the issue. I need VS 2012 for Win Desktop.

Monday, June 24, 2013 1:32 AM
  • In Windows 8, I did a Restart (NOT shut down, power on) and got the error to go away.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 3:14 PM
  • I should follow the instructions and not think :)
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:43 PM
  • Hope this info will help you. I solved my problem by installing Visual Studio 2010 and then Visual Studio 2012.

Thursday, November 28, 2013 6:48 AM

• I have restarted my computer several times and each time, I get the same message.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2015 8:23 PM