Traffic Manager in Cloud Services RRS feed

• Question

• Why do I need Traffic Manager if I'm using Azure Cloud Services? Isn't load balancing (both external and internal) provided out of the box in Cloud Services? How does TM benefit me?
    Tuesday, October 13, 2015 3:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As Jonathan stated, there are many benefits for using Traffic Manager, compared to the out-of-the box LB feature :

- Traffic Manager let you load balance between any Endpoints whenever they are : Between regions, between Azure and On-prem, between Azure and home. Any Endpoint is supported

-  Traffic manager will let you use Geo-DNS distribution feature, which let you load balance traffic based on the client localization

- Traffic Manager provides the 'Performance' load balancing option, which allow you you to create Active/Passive configuration. Azure LB only provides Active/Active

Regards, Samir Farhat || Datacenter Consultant || The way to share my knowledge with the community Visit my blog : buildwindows.wordpress.com buildwindows.wordpress.com </a>

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 4:23 PM

All replies

• A Cloud Service is deployed to a single Azure region.  Traffic Manager enables you to distribute traffic over multiple regions, for example for resilience to regional failure or improved end-user performance.

Please see the Traffic Manager product page and documentation for more details.

Regards,

Jonathan Tuliani

Program Manager

Azure Networking - DNS and Traffic Manager

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 4:06 PM
  • Hi,

As Jonathan stated, there are many benefits for using Traffic Manager, compared to the out-of-the box LB feature :

- Traffic Manager let you load balance between any Endpoints whenever they are : Between regions, between Azure and On-prem, between Azure and home. Any Endpoint is supported

-  Traffic manager will let you use Geo-DNS distribution feature, which let you load balance traffic based on the client localization

- Traffic Manager provides the 'Performance' load balancing option, which allow you you to create Active/Passive configuration. Azure LB only provides Active/Active

Regards, Samir Farhat || Datacenter Consultant || The way to share my knowledge with the community Visit my blog : buildwindows.wordpress.com buildwindows.wordpress.com </a>

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 4:23 PM