none
.Net Framework 3.5 not installing with VisualStudio8Setup error

Question

• Hi everyone,

I have been at installing this .Net Framework 3.5 update for a while now. I have looked online for many hours trying to find the correct solution for me but I have not come across any sites that have helped.

I am running on Windows Vista x64 and have tried many solutions including attempting to us MS Clean-up tool, acquiring all windows updates (.net framework 3.5 update is the only one that doesn't install correctly... namely update KB951847), and also doing a repair installation on the vista OS.

When I run the standalone installer for .Net Framework 3.5, dotnetfx35setup.exe, I properly download the update but when it comes to installation, the progress bar awkwardly stutters back and forth at approximately 60% complete, then gives me this error:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Window Title]

Microsoft Windows

[Main Instruction]

setup.exe has stopped working

[Content]

An error occurred during setup and a report was created with useful information about the problem encountered.

[V] View problem details  [Send Report] [Don't Send Report]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I click "Show problem details," this window of information shows:

Description:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 has encountered a problem during setup.  Setup did not complete correctly. 

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: VisualStudio8Setup

Problem Signature 01: 35101

Problem Signature 02: 3.5.30729.01_ORCAS_X86_NET

Problem Signature 03: MC

Problem Signature 04: INST

Problem Signature 05: F

Problem Signature 06: CA_CSD_GREEN_INSTALL_amd64_enu.3643236F_FC70_

Problem Signature 07: -2147467259

Problem Signature 08: 1603

Problem Signature 09: -

Problem Signature 10: gencomp302,{12cd

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:

LCID: 1033

Read our privacy statement:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

I have been stuck on this problem for a long time now and would really like to get this issue resolved. Thank you in advance for your help.
    Allen

Monday, October 10, 2011 9:57 PM

All replies

• I still need help regarding this issue. Thanks

Allen

Allen
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:47 AM
  • What Windows version? The potential solution is completely different for XP vs. Win 7.

Please share your install logs as follows:

collect your install logs with this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E0DA314F-6216-4A18-BC6B-7D29CF83AF20&displaylang=e&displaylang=en

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 6:03 PM
  • Hi pvdg42. Thank you for your reply.

I am running on Windows Vista and I have downloaded the Collect.exe that you linked. Unfortunately I cannot find the vslogs.cab through my temp folder. I went c: > Windows > temp, and it is not there. 

Allen

Allen
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:48 AM
  • Hi Allen,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

You can do this to find vslogs.cab: Start>>Run>>Type “%temp%”. After you find it, you can upload it to an open website like Windows Live SkyDrive or send it to me (v-alsun_at_microsoft_dot_com).

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:38 AM
  • Thank you for the help Alex,

I uploaded the vslogs on skydrive. Here's the link

https://skydrive.live.com/#!/?cid=2025951360ab10b9&permissionsChanged=1&id=2025951360AB10B9%21114!cid=2025951360AB10B9&id=2025951360AB10B9%21114

Hopefully this will help clarify the problem. Once again I am running Vista.

Allen

Allen
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 10:10 AM
  • Hi Allen,

I have checked your logs. Unfortunately, the verbose log has not been collected. Maybe you have cleaned %temp% folder.

What you want to do is installing .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, right?

First, I recommend you download full version of .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 from: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=25150

Third, clean up %temp% folder before installation.

Then, make sure all antivirus and antispyware are turned off during the setup.

Next, run setup.exe as administrator.

If the problem still exists after these steps, could you please collect the log for me?

• Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder with the Log Collection Tool.

Collect tool: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0da314f-6216-4a18-bc6b-7d29cf83af20&displaylang=en

• Upload the vslogs.cab file to an open website like Windows Live SkyDrive or send it to me (E-mail: v-alsun_at_microsoft_dot_com).

Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 7:13 AM
  • Hey Alex,

I tried your suggestion and it still ended with the same result. I still get the same error.

I will be e-mailing you the vslogs and I am also posting it on Megaupload because I am not too familiar with skydrive.

Here is the link:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H16E47T8

Let me know how that one turns out.

Thanks,

Allen

Allen
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 10:03 AM
  • It appears from your latest log that you have a x64 edition of Vista. Is that correct?

It also appears that there are logs from over 20 installation attempts in your vslogs.cab, indicating that you did not follow Alexander's suggestion to:

"Third, clean up %temp% folder before installation."

To clear out the Temp folder associated with the logged on user, do this:

Click on the Vista Start Orb. Type %temp% in the search box. The search result will show the Temp folder you want. Click on that folder to open it, then delate everything in it.

Before trying again, you should verify the integrity of the frameworks embedded in Vista (2.0 and 3.0) because the install log indicates issues with .NET Framework 2.0.

Please run this verification tool:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

If it shows problems, use this technique to repair embedded frameworks:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx

Once you are sure your embedded frameworks are OK, then retry the install.Be SURE to follow ALL Alexander's steps.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 1:39 PM
  • Hi pvdg42,

I believe I had followed Alex's suggestion step-by-step and deleted the %temp% folder before doing anything else. I tried doing it again and after your post and I still come up with the same error.

I downloaded your verification tool and both times I checked for 2.0 and 3.0 integrity it reported "Product verification succeeded!" 

I tried the suggested link you offered with the /sfc scannow and it came up with no errors as well.

Allen

Allen
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 8:39 PM
  • Please supply a fresh set of logs as follows:

Collect your install logs with this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E0DA314F-6216-4A18-BC6B-7D29CF83AF20&displaylang=e&displaylang=en

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:41 PM
  • I have uploaded my vslogs again on megaupload:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=64ZNYBK7

Thank you again for helping me out,

Allen

Allen
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 10:28 PM
  • Unfortunately, your link gives this:

"The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later."

Friday, October 14, 2011 1:11 AM
  • That is odd... I tried my link and it worked for me. I'll hyperlink it here

Allen

Allen
    Friday, October 14, 2011 1:44 AM
  • Hi Allen,

I have checked your logs. From your log:

[10/13/11,13:31:28] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (x64) 'package': [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (x64) 'package'. MSI returned error code 1603

[10/13/11,13:32:00] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (x64) 'package' is not installed.

DDSet_Error: CConfigEntry::RefreshConfigFile could not load _spConfigDoc path=C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\config\WSF306C.tmp isSuccessful=0 Error code: 0x1

DDSet_Error: CFxInstaller::SetupExtensions extensionElement.Initialize failed.  cswMachineConfigPath=C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\config\WSF306C.tmp. Error code: 0x80004005

DDSet_Error: CFxInstaller::SetupBaseComponents SetupExtensions failed. Error code: 0x80004005

DDSet_Error: Setup failed. Error code: 0x80004005

For the error code “0x80004005”, it means “Unspecified error”. This error appeared during the installation of .NET Framework 3.5 (x64) package.

First of all, I found you install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 via a web installer. I recommend you download full version of .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 from: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=25150

Second, I recommend you check if the "Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN" service was starting up. You can refer to this page: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxsetup/thread/40e7486e-01e4-4765-975e-0cafe2ddff07/

Third, you can extract dotnetfx35.exe via some tools like WinRAR or WinZip. Then run setup.exe as administrator.

Then, I recommend you use .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool to verify the states of .NET Framework 2.0 and .NET Framework 3.0 to check if they are healthy.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]

Friday, October 14, 2011 8:49 AM
  • Hi Alex,

I downloaded the full version through your link and I also checked out the Microsoft .NET framework NGEN service. I tried to install the .NET Framework twice with starting and disabling the NGEN service which netted me the same result of the same error. I used the verification tool and it says that the verification was successful. 

The problem of not being able  to install .net framework 3.5 still persists.

Allen 

Allen
    Friday, October 14, 2011 5:44 PM
  • Hello,

we are facing the same error with instaling net framework 3.5 SP1 in win 2003 enterprise x64 SP 2.

Any help would be appreciated.

Monday, October 17, 2011 7:49 AM
  • Hello, Thomas.

For best results, please start your own thread. When you do, please follow this procedure for sharing your install logs:

Collect your install logs with this:

Can we assume that you are following Alexander's recommendations (before EACH attempt) that you clear out yourt %temp% directory and disabling all AV/anti-malware/firewall software before running the full installer As Administrator?

Monday, October 17, 2011 12:48 PM
  • Hi Allen,

Could you please collect a fresh log for us? I also recommend you delete all the files under “C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727” directory. Please back up all the files you will delete before you remove them.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 5:46 AM