none
Visual Studio 2017 installer RRS feed

• Question

• I need to sign in as a computer administrator in order to install software.
    Our policies prohibit internet access when logged on as an admin.

Where can I find a standalone installer for Visual Studio 2017?

Thanks!

Monday, August 21, 2017 2:53 PM

All replies

Thanks!

1. Download the MSI from your MSDN subscription page and place in a temp folder in the remote machine.
    2. Mount the MSI
    3. Install VS 2017 from the mounted drive

My Technet Articles

If you like this or another reply, vote it up!
    If you think this or another reply answers the original question, mark it or propose it as an answer.

Mauricio Feijo
    www.mauriciofeijo.com

Monday, August 21, 2017 3:14 PM

Thanks!

1. Download the MSI from your MSDN subscription page and place in a temp folder in the remote machine.
    2. Mount the MSI

My Technet Articles

If you think this or another reply answers the original question, mark it or propose it as an answer.

Mauricio Feijo
    www.mauriciofeijo.com

Where is this MSI?  That is the question...
    The only download that I can find for VS 2017 Enterprise is an EXE for a web installer.

• Edited by bankdog Monday, August 21, 2017 3:36 PM
    Monday, August 21, 2017 3:34 PM

Thanks!

2. Mount the MSI

My Technet Articles

Mauricio Feijo
    www.mauriciofeijo.com

Where is this MSI?  That is the question...
    The only download that I can find for VS 2017 Enterprise is an EXE for a web installer.

You are absolutely correct. The MSI is not available as it was for previous versions.

Here is the recommended method for disconnected installations of Visual Studio 2017:

Install Visual Studio 2017 on low bandwidth or unreliable network environments

My Technet Articles

Mauricio Feijo
    www.mauriciofeijo.com

Monday, August 21, 2017 4:26 PM
  • Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

you need administrator permissions to install visual studio. If there is no network connection, you can create an offline installation folder for visual studio 2017 on pc with network connection. For example, run: vs_enterprise.exe --layout c:\vs2017offline. After this, Having a look at Special considerations for installing Visual Studio in an offline environment.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 7:09 AM
  • Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

you need administrator permissions to install visual studio. If there is no network connection, you can create an offline installation folder for visual studio 2017 on pc with network connection. For example, run: vs_enterprise.exe --layout c:\vs2017offline. After this, Having a look at Special considerations for installing Visual Studio in an offline environment.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thanks, Joyce

The problem is that even running 'vs_enterprise.exe --layout c:\vs2017offiline' requires administrator credentials.  In our environment, anything running in the security context of an administrator is blocked from internet access.  Therefore, the process fails to download the install files.

How can we get the files?  We need a complete install package.

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 11:13 AM
  • Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Best regards,

Joyce

Thanks, Joyce

The problem is that even running 'vs_enterprise.exe --layout c:\vs2017offiline' requires administrator credentials.  In our environment, anything running in the security context of an administrator is blocked from internet access.  Therefore, the process fails to download the install files.

How can we get the files?  We need a complete install package.

Hi,

You must have missed it, this is exactly the process I suggested in my reply to your question.

If you cannot download in your environment, download outside your environment. Download from a coffee shop, to your notebook, or from home, then copy the folder to your environment.

Thanks,

My Technet Articles

Mauricio Feijo
    www.mauriciofeijo.com

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 12:28 PM
  • the solution does NOT work for vs 2017 installer. I DID followed all guidelines but no luck.

installer always wants to connect to download I got:

"attempting to download https://aka.ms/vs/15/release/installer/

where is MSI?

Thursday, August 9, 2018 3:31 PM
  • To clarify, the first time you run the installer, you use:

"vs_<version>.exe --layout <offline_path>"

the second time, you go to the offline path and double click on vs_<version>.exe. You only need to pass in the --layout option when you are creating the layout, not using it to install.

This is a signature. Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

• Edited by Darran Rowe Thursday, August 9, 2018 3:43 PM
    Thursday, August 9, 2018 3:42 PM