none
Binding Failure exception when trying to debug unit test using "debug selected test" RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to "debug selected test" of my unit test, I get this error right away:

Managed Debugging Assistant 'BindingFailure'  occurred
      HResult=0x00000000
      Message=**Managed Debugging Assistant 'BindingFailure' :** 'The assembly with display name 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.CppUnitTestFramework.ComInterfaces' failed to load in the 'Load' binding context of the AppDomain with ID 1. The cause of the failure was: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.CppUnitTestFramework.ComInterfaces, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.'

This is a typical C# app that I have referenced. 

If I do a "run selected test", it goes through and runs it.

VS2017 Enterprise (I have VS 2015, VS 2012, VS 2013 also installed)

Thanks
    Darren

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 10:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Darren,

Forgive that I'm a little confused about the following info you mentioned above:

>> 'The assembly with display name 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.CppUnitTestFramework.ComInterfaces' failed to load in the

>>This is a typical C# app that I have referenced. 

So is it a C# or C++ unit test?

If it's possible, please share us more info of this issue, i.e. the project type, a piece of code sample which could help us to reproduce it in our side.

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Fletch Zhou Thursday, August 31, 2017 2:33 AM
    Thursday, August 31, 2017 2:33 AM
  • That is the weird thing. The project and the unit test are all in C# but the error is a cpp error. Unfortunately, I am out of office until Tues so I won't be trying it until then, but this is a new install so I haven't had it work before. My gut is telling me that I could have a hello world C# app and unit test and it would fail when trying to "debug selected test". I think there is DLL mismatch or something like that with the install. I am just guessing but that is what it feels like.

Thanks
    Darren

Thursday, August 31, 2017 7:28 PM
  • Hi Darren,

If this happens just after the new installation of VS, you could try to repair VS2017 and see.

And the bindingFailure page where demonstrates the cause and solution for this error, which might give you some tips.  

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Fletch Zhou Friday, September 1, 2017 8:20 AM
    Friday, September 1, 2017 8:20 AM