none
Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OracleException: The provider is not compatible with the version of Oracle client RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of converting a VS 2010 project to VS2012. I have Oracle.DataAccess (version 2.111.7.20) as a reference in the project (previously was using 2.111.6.0 in VS 2010). The new library has been installed on the server in the GAC. But when I run the program I get the following error:

************** Exception Text **************
    System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OracleConnection' threw an exception. ---> Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OracleException: The provider is not compatible with the version of Oracle client
       at Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OracleInit.Initialize()
       at Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OracleConnection..cctor()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

I am not sure what I am missing since I have the library installed in the assembly folder on the server.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• Not sure which Oracle client you have installed, but I would see the below link:

http://oradim.blogspot.com/2009/09/odpnet-provider-is-not-compatible-with.html

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:02 PM
  • If your windows is 64bit, then you need 64bit Oracle client too. You can still have 32bit oracle client together with 64bit oracle client.

On my Windows 7 64bit OS, I installed Oracle Client 11.2.0.3 (which has ODP.NET for both .NET Framework 2.0 and 4.0) 32bit first and then 64bit. (The 32bit oracle client was necessary for the PL/SQL Developer) and the exception was resolved.

Thanks,

-srinivas y.

sri

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 2:05 PM
  • If your OS is windows 7 64 bit, Please do the following:

step 1:  Install Oracle client winx64_12c_client I, select Installation type as Administrator while installing oracle client.

step 2:  download and unzip ODAC121021Xcopy_x64 from oracle site.

step 3 :  copy the OraOps12.dll file from the above unzipped folder ODAC121021Xcopy_x64\odp.net4\bin

step 4 :  paste OraOps12.dll file to product\12.1.0\client_1\bin folder

Monday, August 24, 2015 6:05 PM